My new hardware is being outperformed by older hardware... See for more details

BuzzCut_

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
This has been a constant problem for me lately. Basically what I have noticed is that my FPS in Overwatch at the lowest settings possible with a GTX 1080 and Ryzen 1800x is between 180-200. That may not be a problem for most people but in the middle of playing it can fluctuate from 100-160, which is super noticeable on a 144hz monitor. Meanwhile, person A that I play with has a GTX 1060 and i7-4790 and gets 220+ FPS on High settings. Person B has a GTX 1070 and gets 300 fps on high settings. Along with that, when I stream, I would use the x264 encoder and my processor barely goes above 25% while gaming and streaming but my FPS drops even lower. With what I mentioned about both person A and B, they both can stream at perfect 1080p60fps quality with no ingame impact when I can barely even do 720p60fps and have a playable experience.

This isn't the first time where my hardware for some reason is performing worse than older hardware. On my previous build, the exact situation was happening, I couldn't figure out what was wrong after 2 months so I sold everything on ebay and built a new PC. At this point I cannot think of anything else other than I somehow built my PC wrong and it is somehow working. I scanned for viruses using norton, windows defender, malwarebytes and nothing was found. I have no tasks running in the background. I even got the the point where I was overclocking both my GPU and CPU and it had no noticeable effect.

Honestly I am completely out of ideas right now about what I can do. Last build I did, I sold everything and bought new components and nothing changed with the lack of performance compared to others PC's.

Hardware:
GTX 1080 Asus Strix
AMD Ryzen 1800x
Kraken x52 CPU cooler
ROG Strix x370-F
2x8gb G.skill Trident Z 3200mhz
850 watt modular power supply

Was this new build also a clean install of Windows?

Have you checked to verify all drivers (nVidia and AMD) are up to date?

Checked your CPU and GPU temps to make sure there is no throttling?

The GPU you have is really designed to be a high settings 1440p monster. 1080P should be easy but you might be putting more on the CPU at lower settings.