My new headphones sound like I'm listening to everything through a wall

irsaxu

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018
I got a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M30x's in the mail today. They were supposed to replace my $10 earbuds, but the earbuds actually sound better...

Every piece of audio that comes through the headphone speakers feels dampened, like I'm listening to it through a wall. Music totally loses any punch it has and just isn't enjoyable.

I'm listening on a PC and my audio drivers are all set to default. It's also plugged into the same port that the earbuds were.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

EDIT: After using the headphones with a smartphone, it turns out the headphones are totally fine. They have a million times more character than they did on the PC. So, what could be wrong with the PC? I've installed the latest audio drivers.

irsaxu

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018

I don't have a dedicated soundcard. I have the headphones plugged into a Gigabyte H97M-HD3 motherboard

BringerOfTea

Reputable
what computer are you using, make of motherboard?

Realtek® ALC887 codec
High Definition Audio
2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
* To configure 7.1-channel audio, you have to use an HD front panel audio module and enable the multi-channel audio feature through the audio driver.

If i remember correctly the chip on is rated for atleast 250 ohms...

irsaxu

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018

The motherboard is Gigabyte H97M-HD3.

irsaxu

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018

The headphones are brand new and work great with my smartphone.

As far as I can see on the Gigabyte website using my phone there is no supported max ohm listed which is a red flag, they don’t want to list it. Also the fact the headphones work on your phone ok and from your initial description my money is your onboard/motherboard soundcard is the problem.