Question My new network card is 2.5 Gbps , but in windows it's only 1.0 Gbps . why ?

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
i've got a new ONT and a new network card too .
but in windows it shows only 1 GBPS . is n't an ONT port suppose to support 2.5 G or should i use the 5 ghz wifi instead ? ?

this is my new ONT :

IMG-20230411-091002-1.jpg

and this is the card interface i purchased :

IMG-20230406-113239-1.jpg

2.5 Gbps ?

in windows i get this :

Untitled-4.jpg

Only 1.0 Gbps . . .

using Ethernet cables

You are confusing 2.5gbit ethernet ports with 5ghz wifi. Wifi is a radio frequency not a data rate. Even if you buy a very fancy wifi card that can run on 5ghz you will be very lucky to get 600mbps transfer rates.

As stated above your problem is the ethernet ports are only gigabit on that router. If you hook a gigabit ethernet to a 2.5gbit ethernet they will negotiate the speed to 1gbit.

Next the GPON standard might run 2.5g but that does not mean the ISP offers that speed to the end customers. The fiber strand you have coming to your house can have up to 64 other houses connected to it sharing the same total 2.5gbit gpon bandwidth.

What rate do you pay the ISP for. If it is 2.5g then you need a different router that has 2.5g ethernet ports.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
Is this the router? Doesn't mention 2.5GbE, has 4 gigabit ports. Optical network terminal connects you to the main line outside, doesn't determine what speed the network ports are inside.

https://service-provider.zyxel.com/emea/en/products/fiber-oltsonts/gpon/hgus/pmg5617ga

2.5GbE is 2.5x that of gigabit, so roughly 300MB/s or 2400Mbps. Is that what your internet plan is?
yes , but shouldn't a router that has a 2.5 G gpon ports also provide 2.5 G LAN ports ? i'm sorta confused .

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
You are confusing 2.5gbit ethernet ports with 5ghz wifi. Wifi is a radio frequency not a data rate. Even if you buy a very fancy wifi card that can run on 5ghz you will be very lucky to get 600mbps transfer rates.

As stated above your problem is the ethernet ports are only gigabit on that router. If you hook a gigabit ethernet to a 2.5gbit ethernet they will negotiate the speed to 1gbit.

Next the GPON standard might run 2.5g but that does not mean the ISP offers that speed to the end customers. The fiber strand you have coming to your house can have up to 64 other houses connected to it sharing the same total 2.5gbit gpon bandwidth.

What rate do you pay the ISP for. If it is 2.5g then you need a different router that has 2.5g ethernet ports.
i tried connecting to the 5ghz wifi instead but to no avail , even though my card supports it , there's no mention of my second wifi in the windows wifi list .

It is going to come down to does the ISP feel there are enough customers who will pay for a 2.5g service to manufacture a router that has 2.5g ports.
The vast majority of customers will not even pay for 1gbit internet. ATT charges $180/month for their 5gigabit service. Most people are not willing to spend that amount for internet.
In any case call your ISP and see how much they charge for a internet plan greater than 1gbit. If they offer the service they also have a different router that will have faster lan ports.

Your router may use the same SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz wifi. They do this because your average consumer is too stupid to know the difference. You likely can change the SSID for the 2.4 and 5g radio so can force the radio channel.
It doesn't really matter, that routers is not high end enough to support the higher data encoding rates so you will likely get only about 300mbps.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
It is going to come down to does the ISP feel there are enough customers who will pay for a 2.5g service to manufacture a router that has 2.5g ports.
The vast majority of customers will not even pay for 1gbit internet. ATT charges $180/month for their 5gigabit service. Most people are not willing to spend that amount for internet.
In any case call your ISP and see how much they charge for a internet plan greater than 1gbit. If they offer the service they also have a different router that will have faster lan ports.

Your router may use the same SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz wifi. They do this because your average consumer is too stupid to know the difference. You likely can change the SSID for the 2.4 and 5g radio so can force the radio channel.
It doesn't really matter, that routers is not high end enough to support the higher data encoding rates so you will likely get only about 300mbps.

my initial ping with this ONT was 78 milli seconds with Eruope , but then the morning after , it spiked back to 110 it was . what should i tell the ISP ?

Latency is not really related to bandwidth it is mostly a measure of distance based on some fraction of the speed of light.

Could be your data is running on a backup path. There could be a overloaded connection which can increase latency but this is uncommon.

Nothing at all you can do about and it might not even be in your ISP network could be in another ISP.