[SOLVED] My new PC, what you think?

Oct 28, 2019
Hello I recently rebuilt my personal gaming pc. My old computer was not handling the new games so I went ahead and bought new everything. I started with a ROG ASUS B450-F GAMING. I decided to go with a Ryzen 5 3600 OC to 4.0 GHZ. To back it up I got 2 sticks of 8gb Corsair vengeance RAM so 16gb overall. A 850x Corsair power supply to get this puppy going. I have a Corsair H60 AIO Cooler on my Ryzen 5 3600, which is at 4.0GHZ and is keeping it cool at 40-43c idle and 64c under load.I got a MSI GTX 1660 TI 6gb as my GPU. I was wondering what would be your preference and opinion on this build. would you over clock it more? Would you run Games at max settings ? What would you do on my computer. Please let me know

Solution
Why would ask AFTER building? Any changes we suggest would require a return and you not having a PC while this happens. You should ask before so you can make changes easier. For this reason alone I say enjoy your PC.

Your board is a mid range board from the 2xxx generation. I'm not sure why you paired it with your CPU. Because it's from the previous gen I suggest making sure the bios is up to date. I'm also a bit confused with the "OC". The 3600 is a 3.6GHz/4.2GHz boost. I'm assuming you went with a 4.0GHz all core clock? Single or light threaded applications will actually be slower in this case, and I'm not sure how much 400MHz on all core will help. Your cooler is probably a bit undersized for anything else as your...
Hey there,

Well, the build is pretty good. Well balanced. Not sure why you have a 4ghz OC, because
with Ryzen 3xxx it's actually better to use PBO, to keep your boost speeds of 4.2 for gaming. Unless you have a specific need for an all core base of 4ghz.

Ryzen 3 doesn't OC well, and is already pretty much maxed out. PBO is better for gaming.

With regard to in game settings. It depends on what game you are playing and what res your monitor is at?

IMO, your idle temps are too high. You should be idling at about 30-35c. But of course ambient temperature may play apart if you live in an area that's particularly warm.

When you say 64c under load. what do you mean? Gaming load? You should test your system at stock in a stress test to see what your temps are actually at, at a given voltage. Use Prime 95 small fft's and see what temps your CPU hits. What voltage are you using for you OC? I suspect the OC is unstable, and your temps and/or voltage is too high, which is why you idle temps are high.

4745454b

Titan
Why would ask AFTER building? Any changes we suggest would require a return and you not having a PC while this happens. You should ask before so you can make changes easier. For this reason alone I say enjoy your PC.

Your board is a mid range board from the 2xxx generation. I'm not sure why you paired it with your CPU. Because it's from the previous gen I suggest making sure the bios is up to date. I'm also a bit confused with the "OC". The 3600 is a 3.6GHz/4.2GHz boost. I'm assuming you went with a 4.0GHz all core clock? Single or light threaded applications will actually be slower in this case, and I'm not sure how much 400MHz on all core will help. Your cooler is probably a bit undersized for anything else as your already over 40C at idle and basically 65C under load. I'm not sure if your clocks are better than stock, or what your power draw is. You might be better off going back to stock clocks. A bigger/better cooler would be nice as well.

16GBs of what? 2400MHz? 3000? 3200? That could be good. Or it too could use some help.

850W PSU? At load I don't see your rig going over 300W. So congrats on getting a PSU that will spend it's time doing ~33% of its output. You could have got a 550 or 650W and still have had plenty of power. I'm also not sure of the 1660. Without knowing what you spent for it this might have been a bad buy. Or not.

All this doesn't matter. Enjoy your PC. But next time you might want to ask before you pull the trigger.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution