My New PC

G

I currently own a laptop with a 300MHz Cely with a 2MB ATI Rage Pro video card(integrated) and 96MB RAM. I am going to buy a Desktop 1GHz Thunderbird with 256MB PC133 CAS 2 SDRAM and a GeForce2 32MB GTS video card. My question is : Will I be blown away by the performance increase?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you're a power user or hardcore gamer, probably. Spend a lot of time typing up Word documents? Probably not so blown away.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=509926" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=509926</A></b>

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah, like the last dude said- only if your a gamer and power user (I.E. you run 30 programs at once like me). If your a spreadsheet nerd- you wasted your money. =)

-MP Jesse

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
I think that's a good investment, Trample, and isn't a waste of money neccisarily. That computer will last you for a long time, and will provide amazing proformance the whole time. But I do hope your not buying it for word processing.

- "I forgot my shirt, but I had body glitter."

HamsterSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with the just about all of the above comments. If you are just doing text editing and similar stuff, your programs will load faster and your operating system will be easier to operate (unless you are using Windows ;-) as it responds faster, but the new system won't make a huge difference.

If you run any kind of games, graphics editing programmes and other things that stresses the system just a little bit, you'll definitely be blown away!!

G

I disagree with "Last you a long time"

My humblest opinion: -

anything that is not FSB133 (dual-pump to 266)
DDR PC2100

is obsolete

don't fire at me you guys, facts are facts, I also got a regular duron only, trying hard to sell it off to get DDR, even though toms latest review didn't show much good out of it.

it's like the regular people don't know about DDR yet and so sell of whatevers consider still new, that is the only way to last

think of it as changing a new computer every year with only $150 for the top notch ones.

Best regards
cx5

G

Then, in your opinion, anything that is ACTUALLY available at this time is obsolete. The sad thing is, you may be right! Might go a long way in describing the industry problems.

Paul

G

obsolete???

that is relative ..

I still get it done with old Pentium and plenty still get it done with a 486. It's a matter of perspective. A GHz machine will run software quite sufficiently and quite awhile into the future. What's wrong with the business is there is less a market for new technology because the so-called "obsolete" are still getting it done..

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

G

Very true, I built a system around my old PII350 for my MRS to use cos she will not do anything to even tax that level of CPU, the hardest thing it does is boot.....

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

Well, the trend is, of course, the latest technology comes out (DDR?) and all the stuff just below it gets a lot cheaper. The guru's and the few people that actually need the new performance level buy the new stuff; the mainstream then upgrades to the now "just" obsolete stuff for a very attractive price, and so on. My point is that this isn't happening because the latest technology doesn't really exist, ie no functioning 760's, no C T-birds, etc. Therefore, no major price break on the level just below these. Your point is that the "obsolete" stuff is still quite functional for mainstream users. True enough, but it raises an interesting point.

If the next generation of software of whatever genre is coded to maximize the performance of the P4 (Intel is probably powerful enough to make this happen), then everything other than P4 trying to run that software will truly be obsolete. Then everyone must upgrade to run the new generation of software. Intel saves the world (again?).

Paul

G

you may be correct but if you look at things in this way we are dying from the point of conception....

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I belive you will be, even if you mostly use Msword & exel .
Cely 400 laptops on my work seems to be slower than my (wery optimised ) Pentium MMX .

All i can give you is the truth. Nothing more.

G

Regardless of what you do on your machine, you will be blown away with how much faster everything is, if speed is your thing. I have people at work who think upgrading from a K6-2 400mhz system is a waste of time and money due to the fact that time is not of the essence to them. One guy still thinks his Voodoo 2 add-on accelerator is fast! So if you think your Laptop blazes and you really don't pay attention to speed, than save you money and buy an integrated POS like a Dell, Compag, Gateway, etc... for less. If you hate waiting for programs to load, games run like crap, graphics not very clear, saving stuff takes forever, etc... than you will greatly appreciate your investment in your new PC.

Latest posts