Question My new Ryzen 5 2600 perfoms way below expectations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 22, 2019
Hello, recently I buyed new PC. When i ran UserBenchmark my CPU results were way below expectations.
My specifications are:

Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1060 3gb
8 GB DDR4 2400mhz
PSU: 550w
Asrock A320M-HDV R3.0

Can you please help me ?
P.S. Sorry for bad english ;)

Cioby

Distinguished
open start, type dxdiag open the app that you get.
Check the System Model, that should be your motherboard. Or just send the screenshot.
And yes your GPU is the problem, your CPU is 2% under the average. Your GPU is much lower.

After you get the motherboard model, google that + drivers. Get the official manufacturer page make sure it's the same model, go to downloads and download most of that stuff. You can read what they do before you download them.

@boju people usually say RYZEN BEST FOR GAMING BEST PRICE GET IT NO DIFFERENCE TO INTEL AND CHEAPER. And then it's like "oh btw you need very fast RAM or it will not run even as bad as it is in benchmarks (where Intel wins in gaming at lower resolutions anyway)" - that's what I meant.

Cioby

Distinguished
Ok now runs some games, or click the wheel thingy and go to Monitoring and click CPU temperature CPU usage CPU fan speed (same with GPU) and on every one of those (you can also get RAM usage and under GPU the memory usage which will be VRAM), click the box under the list, that says Show in on-screen Display. Then check the next tab and assign a key combination to toggle on screen display. Then run a game and see how it runs. Take screenshots of the game + values in the game.

Feb 22, 2019
You don't understand. My cpu is problem ratings on UserBenchmark are really low. http://prntscr.com/mozin9

I downloaded APP Shop for my motherboard and installed all recommended drivers for it.

I will send game screenshots now.. And I think that Ryzen is good for gaming it is not that bad as you say...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
@boju people usually say RYZEN BEST FOR GAMING BEST PRICE GET IT NO DIFFERENCE TO INTEL AND CHEAPER. And then it's like "oh btw you need very fast RAM or it will not run even as bad as it is in benchmarks (where Intel wins in gaming at lower resolutions anyway)" - that's what I meant.

Ryzen has been known since first gen that it performs better with faster ram and dual channel for the doubled bandwidth. I do agree with you Cioby the information regarding the matter of faster ram should have been more widely publicised rather than rely on tech forums and review sites. But oh well it is what it is.

Regarding performance between Intel and Ryzen depends on a few things, games, refresh rate and budget. In the last few years open world games have become very sophisticated and large, there's a lot more going on for the cpu. Intel's IPC is stronger and can push more fps than Ryzen can, not a lot more but still more, depending between cpu models of course. The cpu needs to pre-render every frame and in cpu intensive games, a high amount of fps can have a negative effect if the cpu can't cope. This is the tricky part because processors like 8600k/9600k are appealing but they are Bulls. They can push hard in either 1080p and 1440p quite easily but because they can be easily overworked dealing with frame rates, they just hit a wall as there's not much room left for physic calculations. When that happens the cpu reaches 100% usage and stutters begin and frames drop off.

Ryzen's, depending on model, ie 2600/2700 are decent budget systems, able to sustain decent amount of fps and with more threads are able to keep cpu usages down where 8600k/9600k are both having a hard time. Imho, if were to go Intel and afford it id go either 8700k, 9700k or 9900k but i have my doubts about the 9700k because i have seen reports of high cpu usages with this cpu too but who knows. Modern cpu intensive games are able to make use of the extra hyperthreads so id go with a cpu with mutlithreading over single cores simply because games still rely on the primary core #0 and better to have two working threads on it than one because if that core reaches high usage it affects the other cores.

BF1 is one of the most cpu intensive games out there, probably just as much as Ghost Recon, Farcry5 and BF5. This video explains the connection between fps and cpu usage, do watch it all because it's quite informal i think.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You don't understand. My cpu is problem ratings on UserBenchmark are really low. http://prntscr.com/mozin9

I downloaded APP Shop for my motherboard and installed all recommended drivers for it.

I will send game screenshots now.. And I think that Ryzen is good for gaming it is not that bad as you say...

You're comparing to people on userbench running faster ram, that's why youre seeing lower performance on yours.

Do a simple google search. Does Ryzen run better with faster ram.

---

Shouldn't be downloading any drivers from any app, that is a nono because you don't know 100% sure what you're getting or where they source drivers from. It wont be from Asrock and it wont be from Microsoft because MS already has those drivers.

---

You haven't actually given us any temp numbers while you're playing a game.

Ya know what, watch this video and and monitor cpu temp in game. If your cpu isn't reaching 90c the cpu is fine.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You really need to review this entire thread again and properly monitor your computer.

One minute you say cpu is running 50c then you post a screenshot of speccy showing over 100c.

Msi Afterburner can monitor cpu temps while gaming, it wasn't selected as shown in your screenshot.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
@boju

What do you mean?
I guess he means that there are ppl who are promoting RYZEN as the BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO HUMANITY AFTER PENICILLIN.

After you buy one, they are starting to put forth disclaimers. They sound like a second-hand car dealership salesman, you know the kind.

korv

Notable
Dec 26, 2018
You're using amds stock cooler. you're saying that your case is becoming warm? you could swap out your cooler or buy a new case. if you don't want to spend any money, what boju said go to your store where you bought your pc and have someone check it for you.