Question My new Windows 10 PC is trying to update to windows 11, even though I don't have a licence for either of them. What will happen if I let it update ?

Dec 31, 2022
I booted installed Windows 10 onto my new PC becuause I prefer the UI, and haven't activated it although I plan to in the future. A few days after I booted it the PC started giving me the option to install windows 11, but I looked it up and it seems like only licensed copies of Windows can usually receive updates. Is this a genuine problem that I need to fix or am I just not understanding something? And if so, is it safe to update my PC?

USAFRet

Titan
I booted windows 10 onto my new PC becuause I prefer the UI, and haven't activated it although I plan to in the future. A few days after I booted it the PC started giving me the option to install windows 11, but I looked it up and it seems like only licensed copies of windows can usually receive updates. Is this a genuine problem that I need to fix or am I just not understanding something? And if so is it safe to update my PC?
Are you SURE it is not activated?
What is telling you it isn't?

Dec 31, 2022
OK, just checking.

It may or may not upgrade to WIn 11 by itself.

AS always, have a good second copy of anything you do not wish to lose.
Thanks for the answer. I don't have any really impoirtant data stored on here since I've only had it a few days but I'd rather not have to redownload all my steam games so I think I'll just wait until I get a licence to do it to lower the risk.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could just copy the steam games onto another hdd and upgrade win 10 to 11, and if it fails, you don't have to download the games libraries again as steam lets you move them from one drive to another. or just point steam at folder location and it will find them itself.

worth a try, nothing to lose if you have copies of them elsewhere.

TRENDING THREADS