My notebook came with windows installed but now is saying windows isn't activated

cyberrich

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Hi, I bought the Samsung notebook from PCWorld over 2 years ago. It came with windows 8 already installed but I'm now getting a message saying windows isn't activated and that I need to enter the key. Without a key it says I have to buy a new one for £99.99, but as I bought the computer with windows installed I can't see why this is happening. There is no sticker on the computer with a key containing 25 characters which is required, there's only a 15 character key on the underneath of the pc. The computer didn't come with a windows disc. When I open the activation wizard, the activation by phone option isn't there, only the enter the key option. I've emailed PCWorld and Samsung, but til I hear from them I'd be very grateful if anyone has any ideas. I can still get online, but for how much longer is anyone's guess. Thanks.

Solution
Likely the product key is baked into the BIOS. Here's an article which talks about some ways to get it: https://itsolutionsblog.net/3-ways-to-extract-the-windows-8-product-key/