Question My Passport Ultra has "request failed due to fatal device hardware"

Feb 23, 2019
I have a 2T My Passport Ultra that files have become inaccessible. Some folders have a black background, in which I have attempted to change folder Icon and restore to original. It worked on one and nothing now. I have attempted several programs for recovery, seems not to find data!! I know it is there as I can see it. Can someone please, please help me get this data off this drive!

You can't do much if the drive is bad outside of a professional recovery service that can check the drive with their equipment.

Did you try another USB cable? You may be able to remove the drive from the enclosure and use another one or connect it directly to a desktop as long as the drive did not use any encryption or has a custom connector on it. Did you check with WD support already?

Next time, make sure you keep backups of your data, having only a single copy leads to these issues.

Feb 23, 2019
Hello,

Yes I have tried other cables..still same issues. It is weird I cannot get the pictures. I can see them in the folders but will not open for me. I have gotten a majority of the data off, although it would take hours to do one file.

Also, I have found that some of the files owner has changed. Not sure how this happened!

Yes, I have spoken with WD support and they will send out only a warranty replacement, will not attempt to recover any data. I truly appreciate your feedback, I am just hoping to recover the photos as well.

Thank you kindly