[SOLVED] My pc Became slower after adding new ram(be prepared I’m going to be as detailed as possible)

Dec 12, 2019
Ok, ready? So basically, a few days ago I got two new sticks of Corsair 8gbx2 rgb pro ram sticks, my prebuilt had came with one 8gb stick in the third slot, ddr4_B1. I have an Asrock b365m motherboard it also says RoHS on the mother board can’t tell if it’s also the name or not. I added the two new ram sticks to the first and fourth slot. At first I thought it was good cause the rgb turned on. But my computer was slower, like way slower.

So then I tried going into the bios menu and loading defaults but I wasn’t sure if I had to remove the ram or not before and left them in and reset it. Long story short. I tried the jumper cable way first, accidentally moved the power sw cable instead, pc didn’t turn on, I moved it up , got it to turn back on. Slow still.

I tried the battery method. Slower. And before that I had tried the bios menu tons of times. But everytime I hit save and exit the pc wouldn’t reboot. So I’d have to turn off the pc and turn it back on and it was stil the same.

And now I tried putting the old ram in, resetting the cmos with the battery, but right after I put the battery back in and then put the two new ram sticks into the ram slots. Idk if this is what made it this much worse.

I tried reinstalling windows through the full reset but when it finished it was the same problem after it restarted, it just wouldn’t boot. So I’d have to turn it on off again and it didn’t even reset anything. And it does it everytime. Even opening the start menu takes long .

I can’t tell if it’s a hardware or software issue and it’s bad cause I just got this pc last week and idk if I should send it in before I can try doing something myself at least. Please can anyone help me my mother board is a Asrock b365m RoHS it’s prebuilt.

Solution
the fastest slots are normally the ones closest to the CPU. try putting the fastest ones in the first and third slots and then the final one in the second slot. also, try it with just the two new ones in slots 1 and 3, if the ram is different from each other then on rare occasions they may not work together at all.

sonofpern

Commendable
Jun 5, 2018
I'm not super experienced but I don't know any motherboards that want RAM in 1 and 4 slots. Usually it's pairs in 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 iirc. I ran an FX 6300 system with 2 x 4GB in 1 and 3 slots and an 8GB stick in slot 2.

Now,as far as I know, putting it in the wrong slots shouldn't make it slower than a single stick of the same value. I think there may be a deeper issue, but I would start by finding your EXACT motherboards user manual PDF through Google and there will be a section about how to install RAM in different configurations.

As I said I don't think this will solve your problem entirely but I think it's a critical first step.

jessecarturan

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
the fastest slots are normally the ones closest to the CPU. try putting the fastest ones in the first and third slots and then the final one in the second slot. also, try it with just the two new ones in slots 1 and 3, if the ram is different from each other then on rare occasions they may not work together at all.

Solution