Question My PC Crashes sometimes, never with crash dump files

FireDistinguisher

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Hello Hardware peeps, I have an issue with crashes. This has been going on ever since my first PC build and during every iteration, Windows installation, and hardware modification of it as well. These crashes never happen more than once or twice a week, sometimes I go weeks without seeing one, so it didn't really bother me enough to fix it. However, now I play League of Legends, and if my PC keeps crashing during games, I'm going to get banned, so I need to nip this in the bud.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this to be in, so if it isn't, please tell me so I can move it to the correct location, thank you.

Fluff ^ TL;DR --->

These crashes happen most often during loading screens of video games, but can also happen at other times when I can't see a common factor. When my computer crashes, it freezes COMPLETELY with no cursor movement. Visuals remain static, and all sound continues for a few seconds and then cut out entirely. No input gets a response, and I've never seen the computer return from this state without a hard shut down or reset. When the computer comes back online it shows no signs of recognition that it crashed and my crash dump folder in C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\CrashDumps is devoid of files about these crashes.

I'm updating all my drivers right now, and I will post/edit if crashes continue to happen afterward.

Specs:
Processor: I7-9700K
RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600 Hz and 2 x 8GB DDR4 G.Skill 4000 Hz (I couldn't figure out what speed my original 2 sticks were when I bought the other 2. Oops.)
Motherboard: MSI Z390 MPG Gaming Pro Carbon
Graphics: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti
Main Storage+OS Location: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2
Extra Storage: Samsung Western Digital Black 3TB 7200 RPM and a Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SATA III SSD
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 80+ Platinum

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Hello Hardware peeps, I have an issue with crashes. This has been going on ever since my first PC build and during every iteration, Windows installation, and hardware modification of it as well. These crashes never happen more than once or twice a week, sometimes I go weeks without seeing one, so it didn't really bother me enough to fix it. However, now I play League of Legends, and if my PC keeps crashing during games, I'm going to get banned, so I need to nip this in the bud.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this to be in, so if it isn't, please tell me so I can move it to the correct location, thank you.

Fluff ^ TL;DR --->

These crashes happen most often during loading screens of video games, but can also happen at other times when I can't see a common factor. When my computer crashes, it freezes COMPLETELY with no cursor movement. Visuals remain static, and all sound continues for a few seconds and then cut out entirely. No input gets a response, and I've never seen the computer return from this state without a hard shut down or reset. When the computer comes back online it shows no signs of recognition that it crashed and my crash dump folder in C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\CrashDumps is devoid of files about these crashes.

I'm updating all my drivers right now, and I will post/edit if crashes continue to happen afterward.

Specs:
Processor: I7-9700K
RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600 Hz and 2 x 8GB DDR4 G.Skill 4000 Hz (I couldn't figure out what speed my original 2 sticks were when I bought the other 2. Oops.)
Motherboard: MSI Z390 MPG Gaming Pro Carbon
Graphics: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti
Main Storage+OS Location: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2
Extra Storage: Samsung Western Digital Black 3TB 7200 RPM and a Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SATA III SSD
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 80+ Platinum

Thanks in advance for any help!
Just to make the pot smaller.

If overclocking the cpu bring it back to stock.
Get the proper bios and mobo drivers.
Test.

FireDistinguisher

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Just to make the pot smaller.

If overclocking the cpu bring it back to stock.
Get the proper bios and mobo drivers.
Test.
I Haven't touched the CPU or the GPU clock speeds since I installed them. How would I know if my bios and motherboard drivers aren't "proper"? I installed them carefully last time I reinstalled windows, but even then, it seemed like the drivers were already ready to go.

FireDistinguisher

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Visit the mobo site and compare what they offer to what you have.
Okay, bit a problem. I went to the website, downloaded the newest chipset drivers, 10.1.18508.8239, and I installed it and restarted my computer. I checked the driver version afterwards, and it's still the same as it was before, 10.1.16.7.