Question my pc don't recognize all the ram i put it on

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 21, 2021
Hi, i have a problem; i have 2x4gb of ram but windows, i'm running on the latest version (20h2), doesn't recognize half of the memory. I tried to see in the bios but it recognize all the memory;
so is possible to fix that?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Some motherboards don't have clips on both ends of the ram slots...
I've had just one board like that and I believe it was an AsRock.

Yes I've worked with a few, they have a pull tab on one side, on the other its a fixed tab, same concept. It makes you insert the ram at an angle to engage the built in tab and then once you push it in all the way the pull tab will fit.

Right. They ALL pretty much have lock tabs on both sides although only one side is able to be released out of the way. Still locked on both ends, no way for it to go anywhere unless, as mentioned previously, it wasn't fully inserted properly in the first place.

Feb 21, 2021
So, I think it might be worth considering doing a clean install instead.

The problem with the "restore" image on laptops and prebuilt OEM systems, is that when you use THAT, you also put all of the preinstalled bloatware back on there as well. We've seen such high numbers of cases where brand new systems could barely hold their own necks up due to the weight of all the bloatware that they ran as though they were terribly infected with malware when they actually only had piles of useless "optimization" and other bundled software installed.

Updating Windows through Windows update, to newer build versions of Windows is fine in most cases, so long as everything is working properly, but if there is a problem that already exists then there is a good chance it will still exist after the upgrade, making that pointless, and in some cases like yours there ends up being a problem after the upgrade that didn't exist before, making that pointless (After the fact).

I ALWAYS recommend doing a clean install whenever there's a question of which way to go. That includes every time Microsoft releases a major update. Microsoft does not have a very good track record of making transitions between upgrades or major updates terribly smooth, seamless or trouble free. Usually, more often than not, problems are created that did not exist before the update or upgrade. Not in every case to be sure, but often enough to warrant avoiding the process when it is at all possible or at the very least, every other major update/upgrade.

Continuing to simply upgrade/update or reinstall the factory bloatware often just continues to put the same problems that existed from the start, right back where you left them prior to the process. I would never allow one of my machines, or any machine I work on, to go longer than two major updates without doing a clean install to the newest available Windows ISO release, and usually, unless there are circumstances that make it terribly inconvenient to do so, every major update.

If you wish to DO a clean install, you can do so as follows. This is totally up to each person to determine if that is the best course of action for them or not. In some few cases, there are very good reasons such as having software installed that cannot easily be reinstalled or a really terrible internet connection that makes it difficult to download the installers. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.

The Pro and Enterprise versions DO have better administration tools, and that is the ONLY reason to go with those versions IMO.

I'm sorry for not replying i was busy; anyways i've done the clean installation of windows 10, the pc, as always, recognize 4 gb out of 8gb :(

So, they worked together before, but now they don't.

They both work in the A2 slot but neither stick works when put in the B2 slot, plus the system won't POST or boot with with any memory installed in the B2 slot.

Is that about right?

Have you tried putting only one memory module in the B2 and no module in the A2 slot, just to see if this is a problem of a bad motherboard slot OR if it is a problem of not wanting to run in dual channel with multiple DIMMs installed?

Personally, I think it's a motherboard issue if neither DIMM works in the B2 slot but both work in the A2 slot. Considering the age of the hardware, it's really not a tough sell.

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Feb 21, 2021
So, they worked together before, but now they don't.

They both work in the A2 slot but neither stick works when put in the B2 slot, plus the system won't POST or boot with with any memory installed in the B2 slot.

Is that about right?

Have you tried putting only one memory module in the B2 and no module in the A2 slot, just to see if this is a problem of a bad motherboard slot OR if it is a problem of not wanting to run in dual channel with multiple DIMMs installed?

Personally, I think it's a motherboard issue if neither DIMM works in the B2 slot but both work in the A2 slot. Considering the age of the hardware, it's really not a tough sell.
i tried the 4 possible combination possile, the pc don't start in any case in slot 2, for the slot 1 the pc work; so i thinks is a motherboard issue