[SOLVED] My Pc fan make a loud noise ;<

Jul 16, 2020
Hi. I noticed that my pc fan make noises when I started to boot. But after I shut down my pc and turning on again, the noise will gone and works normally. And my question is what is the reason why my first boot make pc fan noises? but on my second boot the noise is gone?

Solution
Depends on the noise. There's generally 4 varients.
  1. Worn bearings. There's generally a lubricant inside the bearings and after a little while it drops to the bottom of the bearing. On first boot, half the bearing is dry, so is noisy, but after a bit the lubricant will spread out, so on reboot the noise is gone.
  2. Dirt. If the blades are dirty/packed with dust, that can create an imbalance, combined with a worn bearing, the fan gets a constant wobble and makes noise. On reboot, the imbalance is changed, noise goes away, temporarily.
  3. Wiring. Wires move with heat. Can get saggy or soft and the fan can push them out of the way. At first boot, they are cold so drop to hit the blades and make a noise, but after a while soften up...

Ralston18

Titan
1) Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

2) Provide more information about the fan noises - describe or record what noise you hear/heard on first boot.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Double check by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

My thought is that the problem may be heat related. The noise goes away after some component has warmed up and then has full physical contact.

Reactions: Jaysonthesupercute

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the noise. There's generally 4 varients.
  1. Worn bearings. There's generally a lubricant inside the bearings and after a little while it drops to the bottom of the bearing. On first boot, half the bearing is dry, so is noisy, but after a bit the lubricant will spread out, so on reboot the noise is gone.
  2. Dirt. If the blades are dirty/packed with dust, that can create an imbalance, combined with a worn bearing, the fan gets a constant wobble and makes noise. On reboot, the imbalance is changed, noise goes away, temporarily.
  3. Wiring. Wires move with heat. Can get saggy or soft and the fan can push them out of the way. At first boot, they are cold so drop to hit the blades and make a noise, but after a while soften up and the fan moves them.
  4. Loads. Bios is about a 50% load, so fans will ramp up initially under bios settings and a loaded cpu. It's not until software and the OS starts that the bios hands off control and idle speeds take over.

Only way to effectively diagnose is take off the side panel, start the pc and stick your head upto the case, see which fan is noisy. And hopefully why will become obvious.

Reactions: Jaysonthesupercute
Solution