Question My PC freezes entirely whenever I open a game.

flaminggamer659

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Hi,
I've recently built my own PC, it worked fine the first day, then the second day, games would open for 5 minutes then crash or freeze the entire PC. Now, on day 3, only the latter happens. Even if I open a non-demanding game like CSGO, it freezes and my PC stays like that until I reboot it.
Can anyone help?
Specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200mhz
MSI GAMING X Radeon RX 5700

Hi,
I've recently built my own PC, it worked fine the first day, then the second day, games would open for 5 minutes then crash or freeze the entire PC. Now, on day 3, only the latter happens. Even if I open a non-demanding game like CSGO, it freezes and my PC stays like that until I reboot it.
Can anyone help?
Specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200mhz
MSI GAMING X Radeon RX 5700

Hi... so when you say freezes, does anything happen at all (e.g. blue screen) or just the machine just hang? Can you recover from the hang?

Also please could you provide the rest of your system specs (e.g. motherboard, power supply and case would all be handy). Have you had a look at your temps to make sure nothing is overheating?

flaminggamer659

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Hi... so when you say freezes, does anything happen at all (e.g. blue screen) or just the machine just hang? Can you recover from the hang?

Also please could you provide the rest of your system specs (e.g. motherboard, power supply and case would all be handy). Have you had a look at your temps to make sure nothing is overheating?
Hi,
It just stays on that screen, so I guess it hangs. I can only recover from the hang through a reboot. No blue screens at all.
My mobo is the MSI B450M PRO VDH PLUS, my psu is the Silverstone ET-550 B and my case is an Antec DP301M.

Also no overheating, it happens even if I just login to my PC.

Well the PSU looks like it should handle all that ok. That is an original B450 mainboard to pre-dates Ryzen 3000, I'm guessing it must already be updated or it wouldn't boot, however might be worth checking the bios is up to date:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-PRO-VDH-PLUS#support-cpu

It's also possible you are running into memory issues- older AM4 mainboards can be unstable with higher clocked ram. You can test the ram using mem test:
https://www.memtest86.com/

Edit: looks like MSI have tested your board with Ryzen 3000 and memory support looks pretty good:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-PRO-VDH-PLUS#support-mem-19

You'll need to find your exact ram part code, looks like there are quite a few Corsair memory kits listed so chances are it's tested. That will give you the memory settings you should be using.

flaminggamer659

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
I've searched my part code, it just comes up with product pages. I have also checked the list of ryzen compatible ram from Corsair, my RAM was on the list. Although, it didn't say what settings I should use. Where do I find this?
My RAM's part number is CMK16GX4M2B3200C16.

flaminggamer659

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
So whenever I press a button in Halo Reach in the Master Chief's Collection, the game freezes, I've had a bunch of problems with my PC lately and there are a bunch more problems. This issue, however, seems to be exclusive to Halo Reach, from my experience so far.
Is there a way to fix this? Or is this a direct byproduct of the other problems I have now, which you should be able to see on my profile.
Specs are:
Ryzen 5 3600
RX 5700
MSI B450M PRO VDH
16GB corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 3200mhz

Reactions: JHazell55
I've searched my part code, it just comes up with product pages. I have also checked the list of ryzen compatible ram from Corsair, my RAM was on the list. Although, it didn't say what settings I should use. Where do I find this?
My RAM's part number is CMK16GX4M2B3200C16.

Ah sorry I assumed my link would take you directly to the memory testing section however it doesn't....

If you follow link I gave, click on the 'Compatibility' section in the menu on the left, then go to the "Memory by RX-3X00" section.

Looking through the list of approved ram, your kit isn't listed. The closest is the Corsair 3000 mhz kit which is otherwise the same code.

Settings for that are 3000 Mhz, C16 with voltage set to 1.35V... I would see if those settings work

Dec 17, 2019
I know a lot of people have been running into problems with Halo: Reach.

Have you tried in Fullscreen, Windowed & Borderless?

Can you mouse your mouse on the menu?

Another commonly reported fault for Reach is that the audio is said to be playing really choppy. Does the audio on the menu sound odd?

flaminggamer659

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Ah sorry I assumed my link would take you directly to the memory testing section however it doesn't....

If you follow link I gave, click on the 'Compatibility' section in the menu on the left, then go to the "Memory by RX-3X00" section.

Looking through the list of approved ram, your kit isn't listed. The closest is the Corsair 3000 mhz kit which is otherwise the same code.

Settings for that are 3000 Mhz, C16 with voltage set to 1.35V... I would see if those settings work
Oh, I'll try that, I never actually knew this list existed.
EDIT: 3000mhz works! Would any other frequency work?
Also the PC still freezes, but is only limited to CSGO and Borderlands 3.

Last edited:

flaminggamer659

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Audio is fine. This was a completely new system, no reused parts and fresh windows install. CPU and GPU temps are normal, not peaking above around 50 or so, I'm pretty sure my GPU fans aren't spinning because it isn't hot enough either. PSU is Silverstone ET550B 550w. I've tried malware scanning, all fine. Game is on HDD. I can use my mouse but haven't tried the different window modes.
I've tried a few other games, this one is the only one with these problems.