Question My PC freezes, force shutdown, then got "Reboot and select proper boot device". Need to know which hardware is failing ?

Aug 2, 2022
So i turn on my pc, notice some lag happening, but i still keep using it like 20 minute until it getting worse, it keep freeze as i open task manager to see what is going on, when i can close the task manager i did open file exploler, it freeze again, waiting 10 minute it's still freeze so i push the reset button, then it say "Reboot and select proper boot device" when i see on the bios i notice my Hardisk not detected, the only boot option is "tsstcorp cddvdw" and disable, after unplugging and plug my hardisk back it did detected but got bsod after trying repair disk.

Bought my pc 3 years ago, want to know which hardware it's failing? so i can replace the right one.
My pc right now can be turn on, it can get in to the bios, but won't boot, it stuck on fixing C: 67%.
(Making this thread on my phone, sorry if i late reply to you)

BTW, you need to provide more info, FULL PC specs as well. Which system is it, and what are all the components used ? How old is this system ? Full details must be provided so that other forum members/MODs might help you troubleshoot your problem.

Anyways, kindly provide PC specs.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information. As much as possible for you. NO need to provide each and every detail though. This is just for reference.

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?

based on circumstances I could guess its hard drive itself or perhaps the CMOS chip on motherboard needs replacing - last one would depend if it happens more than once.

I would open command prompt (admin)
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
2 paragraphs will appear, type Y to run at startup
restart PC to let it run

Aug 2, 2022
what are specs of the PC?

based on circumstances I could guess its hard drive itself or perhaps the CMOS chip on motherboard needs replacing - last one would depend if it happens more than once.

I would open command prompt (admin)
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
2 paragraphs will appear, type Y to run at startup
restart PC to let it run
I don't know the full detail of my spec but here:
I've just replace new Cmos like 2 weeks ago
I5 4570
GTX 1060
Ram 8x2
HDD Seagate 1Tb OS on it
OS Windows 10
Psu 500w

Colif

Win 11 Master
I should have read entire post.

My pc right now can be turn on, it can get in to the bios, but won't boot, it stuck on fixing C: 67%.
don't restart or anything, just leave it there. it could be still repairing drive. Its running chkdsk which is what I suggested.
chkdsk can take up to 2 hours to run on a 1tb hdd

if its still stuck there in 6 hours or so, good chance it is frozen.

Yes, hdd could be problem. How full is it?
when is last time you run defrag on it?

Aug 2, 2022
I should have read entire post.

don't restart or anything, just leave it there. it could be still repairing drive. Its running chkdsk which is what I suggested.
chkdsk can take up to 2 hours to run on a 1tb hdd

if its still stuck there in 6 hours or so, good chance it is frozen.

Yes, hdd could be problem. How full is it?
when is last time you run defrag on it?
why is it the hdd not detected after i push the reset button?
it was yesterday it stuck 67% so i turn off my pc cause rainstorm
i think 330gb left
i've defrag the hdd 1 week ago
All my hardware is 3 years old if you ask how old is my pc
thanks for helping me, sorry if i late reply

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022
its possibly a hardware problem, it isn't responding when bios checks if its there.

next time you don't have bad weather, run it and see if it can get to end. You might be better off buying a new drive and replace it/use it as a storage drive.
Okay, thanks once again
Might be replace it with ssd(os)+hdd(secondary).

(Before the freezing happen, when i booting my pc it's stuck with blackscreen like for 5 minutes before it get in the lockscreen windows, when opening video software like vlc it's like it was so lagging that make me waiting to open the video, is that indicates my hdd was failing?)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022
i did think about suggesting ssd.
i had a 4690k before my current PC and an ssd makes a difference.
i had 250gb ssd as os and hdd for storage. It works well.

interesting name you have there. i try not to collect BSOD
thinking to get Samsung 870 Evo, and WD blue as hdd, is it good though?

i try to not too but this is the third time i got bsod, everytime i boot up my pc is nightmare for me 😂

this more information about my pc freeze
(Before the freezing happen, when i booting my pc it's stuck with blackscreen like for 5 minutes before it get in the lockscreen windows, when opening video software like vlc it's like it was so lagging that make me waiting to open the video, is that indicates my hdd was failing?)

Colif

Win 11 Master
5 minute start up is another sign its the hdd. slow loads too.
all of the problems fixed with an ssd

thinking to get Samsung 870 Evo, and WD blue as hdd, is it good though?
that sounds good. Samsung ssd generally last longer than others.
both makers are good, I have only ever had one WD drive die and it had a good reason - it was a velociraptor, they ran at 10000 rpm and well, they don't last as long as normal slower hdd.

Aug 2, 2022
5 minute start up is another sign its the hdd. slow loads too.
all of the problems fixed with an ssd

that sounds good. Samsung ssd generally last longer than others.
both makers are good, I have only ever had one WD drive die and it had a good reason - it was a velociraptor, they ran at 10000 rpm and well, they don't last as long as normal slower hdd.
Yeah usually it takes 1 minute because i disable some startup program i didn't need.

10000rpm, Wow that is a fast hardisk right there

alrighty then i'll buy a new drive and hope my old one can still recover the data.
thanks for the help!

Aug 3, 2022
Just remember that a duff HDD on any channel can freeze the system ...
Do your initial tests with alternate HDD without that potentially faulty one attached in any way - even USB

Aug 2, 2022
ssd should speed up startup, enough that you don't need this - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
it shouldn't take 1 minute on ssd.

10k rpm is fast for a hdd but still slow compared to ssd. But it was 14 years ago that I got that drive so I don't think ssd were very big back then.

You will never want to use a hdd again once you used an ssd.
I'm back, indeed it was my hdd, now i use ssd+hdd like i said before, fortunately i can recover my data on my old hdd with converter, thanks.

my old hdd status are caution on crystaldiskinfo, can i still use it though? as external definitely.
and what thing i should disable on windows while using ssd as the system drive?
thanks in advance