[SOLVED] My PC freezes ONLY while playing games like Path of Exile, Elder Scrolls Online and etc.

Svage

Prominent
Jan 23, 2020
Hello dear members, once again i'm here with a freeze problem that occurs ONLY while i'm playing games. So, gonna cut it short. I tested every single component of my PC, stress tested RAM, GPU, CPU . The heat of CPU was 80C AT MAX but the idle heat of my CPU is around 30-35, while playing games it increases to 50-60C. GPU was running on 78C and it's the MAX i'v ever seen on my GPU. I even tried integrated GPU and the freezing event still occured. So after the stress tests, i cleaned the PC inside and out. Changed the thermal paste of my CPU and when i finally assemblied and opened my PC and played Path of Exile for testing purposes, PC did not freeze BUT i was having stutters and i believe my CPU causes those stutters. So here is what i want to learn;
  1. I'm gonna drop a link below (an example of my PC's crash) and want to learn if an old/clunky CPU can cause that kinda freeze.
  2. If it's not CPU, what it might be?
  3. And also i have Xigmatek 750w Shogun 80+ Gold PSU so i don't think it's about the PSU
https://files.fm/f/m47s29r2g

Thank you for your time, and your precious replies.
My SPECS are down below;
Intel i 7 6700 (With a Tower Cooler)
Asus Rog Strix Gtx 970 O.C Edition
Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHZ 2x8 Gb Ram
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3 Mainboard
Kioxia 240 Gb SSD (3-4 Months Old)
Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD (9-10 Months Old)
Xigmatek 750w Shogun 80+ Gold PSU

Last edited:
Solution
No. Not the motherboard. There's 2 distinct kinds of graphics, 2D and 3D and they use different drivers. Almost everything you see in Windows will be 2D, programs or office or pdf etc all 2D. Games use primarily 3D drivers, mostly through DirectX or Vulcan or OpenGL. And that's where your issue most likely is, in the 3D drivers.

Code 141 and code 144 both point to graphics driver conflicts and/or corruption. I'd get a copy of DDU from guru3d.com and do a driver uninstall through Windows Safe Mode. Then install a fresh copy downloaded and saved to desktop.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include that "old/clunky" CPU.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the freezes.

Svage

Prominent
Jan 23, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include that "old/clunky" CPU.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the freezes.
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 144
Parameter 1: 1009
Parameter 2:ffffe10f756878a0
Parameter 3:0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19043
Service Pack: 0_0
Product:256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19043.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1055

Additionaly i have Code:141, BlueScreen Problem Events too, occured the same/next days.

Well, researched these codes, 141 is overheating and 144 is about the GPU. BUT i have never exceeded the limits of both CPU and GPU. Could this mean the mainboard is malfunctioning?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Not the motherboard. There's 2 distinct kinds of graphics, 2D and 3D and they use different drivers. Almost everything you see in Windows will be 2D, programs or office or pdf etc all 2D. Games use primarily 3D drivers, mostly through DirectX or Vulcan or OpenGL. And that's where your issue most likely is, in the 3D drivers.

Code 141 and code 144 both point to graphics driver conflicts and/or corruption. I'd get a copy of DDU from guru3d.com and do a driver uninstall through Windows Safe Mode. Then install a fresh copy downloaded and saved to desktop.

Solution

Svage

Prominent
Jan 23, 2020

hmm, so you think it's a software based error? AND also i'd like to add, i have unplugged my GPU and tried to play Path of Exile with my CPU's integrated GPU. After +-1 hour, my PC froze once again. AND i was on Alt+Tab watching a movie.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Drivers. Affects integrated gpus same as discrete gpus. 3d is 3d, your game was still using dx3d.sys etc, even on the igpu. Nvidia whql drivers are native to Windows 10, what you download from nvidia can override/replace those native drivers if they are deemed out of date. Nvidia supplies the drivers to Microsoft, who adds them to the regular Windows Updates, but those can be out of date when nvidia releases its own driver updates, which it does so far more regularly than Windows does.

Driver corruptions are common, happen all the time with updates, power glitches, storage glitches, ram glitches, doesn't take much at all, just 1 bit changed changes everything, and your game freezes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralston18 and Svage

Svage

Prominent
Jan 23, 2020
Drivers. Affects integrated gpus same as discrete gpus. 3d is 3d, your game was still using dx3d.sys etc, even on the igpu.
I'm gonna do the exact things you said earlier in your comments in half an hour. I'll post here the future results after an hour of game testing.