Question My PC has restarted on its own randomly twice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xZGxFire

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Please keep it to 1 thread
As per the title of the thread my pc has restarted twice and I don't know what caused it.

The first time it occured was almost a week ago and the second time was yesterday.

Description of the first restart:
~Was playing Escape From Tarkov
~Happend loading into a match
~Game froze, my 2nd monitor froze, and sound went in a loop
~PC restarted on its own without Blue Screen Error.
~Event Viewer stated Kernel-Power, Event ID 41
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
~Seconds prior to this error this happened. volmgr, Event ID 161 "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation."

Description of the second restart:
~Was taking one of my online college classes live (only 2 chrome tabs opened)
~Both monitors froze again, the sound went into a loop as well
~PC restarted without any Blue Screen error.
~Both previous errors ocurred within seconds of each other. (Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, volmgr, Event ID 161)

PC specs:
MOBO: MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
2x8gb 3200 MHZ (OCed)
EVGA GTX 1070 Ti (OCed but not so much, only like 100+ on both core and memory core)
i7 8700k @ 4.4 Ghz (OCed)
Main OS on relatively new M.2 SSD
2 more storage devices
PSU EVGA 650w Gold Fully Modular (From like 2015-ish)

My guess its something related to hardware, but volmgr, Event ID 161 happens so I don't know. My temps are fine, it doesn't happen often, only 2 times so far. What could this be?

EDIT:
I do use a UPS, did found something related to that.
I disabled C-State and see if it happens again.
FYI, the PC has had these settings for months and probably 1 year, all parts are new from 2019, except for the PSU which is from 2015 or 2016.

Last edited:

xZGxFire

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Have you check for the USB port?
Recently, My one of friend's pc doing like same we find the reason of auto restart. It was some bad USB attach. Simply he usage USB for wifi and it was occurring the issues like auto restart or sometimes auto shutdown.
Hm, every port device works as intended, I no longer get reboots. I'm the one manually shutting the pc down because both monitors lose signal after the game crashes. Still can hear discord friends after losing signal.

Reactions: Jeuver

xZGxFire

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Checked my 12+v rail and 5+v rail in bios and with a sotfware, in bios it was telling me 12.384V and 5.040V meanwhile in the software it was telling me 12.288V min ,12.384V max, and 5.040V both min and max.

Honestly it could be the GPU actually failing, but idk why I can play like normal, frames are good and no frame drops.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
2 test to made one psu use occt stress test it for about 10 min use hwinfo to check voltages temp and fan speed in system the other is to use gpu-z rendering option and checking with hwinfo for the gpu to see if it get out of specs and black screen .

xZGxFire

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
2 test to made one psu use occt stress test it for about 10 min use hwinfo to check voltages temp and fan speed in system the other is to use gpu-z rendering option and checking with hwinfo for the gpu to see if it get out of specs and black screen .
Will try it, theres not black screen, its just the monitors lose signal and then stays that why until I manually shutdown the pc and boot it up again. I can hear my discord buddies, but did hear a sound like if you disconected something. Maybe its the notification pop up that drivers failed.

Last edited:

xZGxFire

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
monitor loosing signal tend to go for gpu not able to handle them try this also remove gpu driver and use generic ones from os see if you still loose signal code 41 means system lost power so psu or gpu .
What do you mean generic ones? As in having no drivers at all?

I did try DDU and installed the lastest drivers.

xZGxFire

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Which GPU-Z because I downloaded it but theres not render option, I did stress test the GPU before in Heaven Bench and in another one.

Edit: going to use OOCT for GPU too,