Question My PC is freezing randomly, once or twice per week. No BSoD. Just Freezes. Can't Do Anything.

testtube5

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2013
Hey guys. So, as the title says, my PC has been freezing randomly about once or twice a week with no blue screen.

This has been going on for about 3 months now, and I don't know what to check to try to fix it.

I did check HWM to see if anything was overheating and everything is good. Even during stress tests.

I do have my CPU overclocked to 5.0ghz and I was kinda lazy on the voltage so I never found the minimum voltage that would still sustain this clock. (I'll edit this if I remember what I set the voltage to, or I can just take a look, though it's been a long time and I'm not experienced with overclocking so I'd have to figure out how to find that value again)

My specs are in my signature. (Also Specs posted here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h3Wr6R)

Anything I can try to troubleshoot in order to fix this problem would be greately appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Post your system specs.

Not everyone enables signatures. I do not.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the freezes.

Reliability History presents a time line format so "looking back" 3 months may be revealing.....

Look in Update History for any failed or problem updates.

= = = =

And the starting point, I suggest, is to simply turn off overclocking. Determine if the problem ends.

Then, if the freezes end, simply increase overclocking in deliberate, measured increments. Discover when the freezes begin again.

testtube5

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2013
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h3Wr6R
Post your system specs.

Not everyone enables signatures. I do not.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the freezes.

Reliability History presents a time line format so "looking back" 3 months may be revealing.....

Look in Update History for any failed or problem updates.

= = = =

And the starting point, I suggest, is to simply turn off overclocking. Determine if the problem ends.

Then, if the freezes end, simply increase overclocking in deliberate, measured increments. Discover when the freezes begin again.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h3Wr6R

(Also edited the original post to show my specs)

Ralston18

Titan
Specs noted.

Not seeing any immediate issues there....

What about errors via Reliability History and Event Viewer?

What about disabling overclocking , testing for freezes, and then increasing overclocking in measured increments?

Key is to identify what configurations and circumstances cause the PC to freeze.

testtube5

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2013
Specs noted.

Not seeing any immediate issues there....

What about errors via Reliability History and Event Viewer?

What about disabling overclocking , testing for freezes, and then increasing overclocking in measured increments?

Key is to identify what configurations and circumstances cause the PC to freeze.

I will need a few days to test these and I will repost here. Because the freezes are anywhere from twice a week to once every 2 weeks.

In the meantime, if anyone has anything else I can try, let me know, please.

TRENDING THREADS