My PC is on but my monitor is not, any idea?

Sep 5, 2018
My motherboard is Asus Rog Striz Z370-E.
I have a 850W power supply.

I used a 4/4 pin cable and connected to the cpu port even though the shape/pattern didn’t match. It seems to fit though since the brackets snapped into the cpu port.

My PC turned on when I tested everything but my monitor will not work. I tested the monitor with another computer and it seems to work properly.

sounds like you plugged a 8 pin PCIE cable into your CPU power port. the plugs from you power supply should be labeled with what they go to, even if they aren't there should be one that matches the CPU port on your motherboard (shape/pattern)

Not sure if what you did would kill anything, but it probably could have. first step is to use the right cable and see what happens.

post your hardware info. with some new mb if the display video is set to auto and there a gpu installed the onboard video may be the first video. pull the gpu see if onboard video post. if there no post check to see that your cpu you have is on the mb qal guild and check the bios rev of the mb. if the mb has a old bios it may not post.

Sep 5, 2018

I used the cable labeled "CPU" from my power supply. The problem is that the 8 pin matches the CPU port but the 4+4 pin doesn't. I can't plug the 4+4 pin into the power supply so I plugged the 8 pin instead. I read online that you can plug the 4+4 pin into the CPU port even if the patterns doesn't match. I tried it and it fit perfectly without forcing it in the port.

Sep 5, 2018

Solutions I've tried:
//Replugging everything in
//Loosen the screws that secures the motherboard to the case
//Making sure the RAM sticks are secured (I placed them in A2 and B2)
//Taking them out and putting them back in
//Leaving only one in at a time (I didn't try all slots with each individual RAM sticks)

My build----
CPU: Intel - Core i7-8086K 4GHz 6-Core Processor
//CPU Cooler: Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 White 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler
//Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming
//Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200
//Storage SSD: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5''
//Storage HDD: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5'' 7200RPM
//GPU/Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti DUKE 11G OC
//Case: NZXT - H500
//PSU/Power Supply: EVGA - 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX
//Case Fan: Rosewill - ROCF-13001 28.2 CFM 120mm Fan

TRENDING THREADS