Question My PC is running at half the speed of other devices.

LethalSpaghetti

Commendable
Apr 27, 2022
My internet should run at 100mbps which is what my other devices do. my pc however runs at 30-50. my PC is plugged in with a cat5e cable to a powerline adapter which is connected to the box in another room. the powerline adapters claim they are running at 80+ mbps. in windows it says my pc is plugged in with a 100mbps connection. I have tried multiple wired and wireless adapters and haven't seen any change. any recommendations on how I can get the full speed I should be getting?

I suspect you might have the lowest powerline adapters...do you have something like av500/600 or did you get the newer ones that have 1000/2000 numbers. Many people will get about 130mbps on the top end units.....which of course is still far below gigabit speeds.

Generally this is the standard network lie you see. The 80mbps is likely the total network bandwidth shared between all devices. In your case you likely only have 2 the router and your pc but there can be many more. This is pretty much your half duplex problem. Almost all traffic has send and receive but they can't actually happen at the same time when you are running half duplex. This kinda means the maximum rate you would get would be say 40mbps but it is more complex because of how the switching between devices is done so it can be more or less.

A real ethernet cable has 1gbit transmit and 1gbit receive. If you would use the same bandwidth number you could call this 2gbit except ethernet can really do 1gbit in each direction at the same time.

LethalSpaghetti

Commendable
Apr 27, 2022
I suspect you might have the lowest powerline adapters...do you have something like av500/600 or did you get the newer ones that have 1000/2000 numbers. Many people will get about 130mbps on the top end units.....which of course is still far below gigabit speeds.

Generally this is the standard network lie you see. The 80mbps is likely the total network bandwidth shared between all devices. In your case you likely only have 2 the router and your pc but there can be many more. This is pretty much your half duplex problem. Almost all traffic has send and receive but they can't actually happen at the same time when you are running half duplex. This kinda means the maximum rate you would get would be say 40mbps but it is more complex because of how the switching between devices is done so it can be more or less.

A real ethernet cable has 1gbit transmit and 1gbit receive. If you would use the same bandwidth number you could call this 2gbit except ethernet can really do 1gbit in each direction at the same time.
thanks for the help. i think the powerline adapters are 300av (they are about 10 years old). they say they should do 200mbps which is more than i can get anyway. should i look at getting newer tp link powerline adapters?

edit: just looked into it. one powerline adapter is in a extension lead with other sockets. would putting it in a normal wall socket increase the speed or am i locked at around 50mbps and should look at alternatives?

Last edited:
You have to know the manufacture of the device are telling outright lies and they know they are doing it.

The device only has 100mbps ethernet ports on it. That means in some fake perfect lab situation they still could never get more than 100mbps.

Powerline adapter should always be plugged directly into a outlet. Extensions tend to cause interference. You are better off using a longer ethernet cable than a longer extension.

Still I doubt it is going to increase the speed a lot. Buying the newer units will likely increase your speed but don't expect anything close to the numbers they claim. The speeds you get greatly depend on how the electrical wires in your house run. Many people report about 130mbps with the latest version but some people get less and other get more.