Question My PC is running extremely slow ?

Jun 16, 2022
Hi,

I currently have a HP Omen 45L --- Ryzen 9 CPU, RTX 3080 Ti and a 1tb SSD.
Recently, well yesterday I noticed its running extreamly slow after May 10 mins on Windows 11, before that all is running smoothly... But then after the 10 mins, the system becomes very sluggish, opening files, loading YouTube opening app..... When I try to load a game it eventually just stops loading.

I checked CPU and GPU temperatures and all is OK there, and Ive checked Task manager to see if any usage is being taken up and everything seems fine there. I have plenty of space on my SSD.I

If I turn the pc off for 10 mins and turn it back on its running smooth, but then it becomes very slow again.
I'm just confused as to what it could be.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
What does Task Manager/Performance/CPU report ? Is the CPU thrashing itself ?
What does Task Manager/Performance/Disk 10,1,2... report ? Is the SSD busy ?
What does Task Manager/Performance/WiFi/network report ? Is it downloading/uploading something massive ?

Please run UserBenchMark and post a link to the results page so we can all see how your PC is performing.

Last edited:
This may not be related, but what's the power supply rating on the power supply? Prebuilts are notorious for not having decent power supplies. Especially when you are running that cpu and gpu, you don't want the system to go POW.

Have you run any type of antivirus scans etc? Also might check if you've got dropbox or onedrive syncing as those eat resources.

Jun 16, 2022
How do I upload screenshots to you on here? I don't see an option.
I am aware I may need to upgrade my power supply as its currently 850 watt and not a 1000. But I've had no issues until now

Thanks

Jun 16, 2022
Also, it's strange because if I set all my fans to medium (noisy pc now) my performance is stable, not sure if this is a coincidence..... But it makes no sense because looking in task manager everything is normal, no high temperatures on CPU, GPU

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Going to need more info on CPU temperatures other than "OK." This looks like a heavily throttling CPU (look at the Turbo clock rate). Watch the CPU temperature as you start to use us and report the temperatures.

Nor is it helping that you have other things running in the background while you're running this tool.

Also, photos and videos are not uploaded here. Use a site specifically designed for that, like imgur or postimage, and link the files here.

Jun 16, 2022
Going to need more info on CPU temperatures other than "OK." This looks like a heavily throttling CPU (look at the Turbo clock rate). Watch the CPU temperature as you start to use us and report the temperatures.

Nor is it helping that you have other things running in the background while you're running this tool.

Also, photos and videos are not uploaded here. Use a site specifically designed for that, like imgur or postimage, and link the files here.

Ok thanks......

https://i.postimg.cc/qvJHzfzW/Screenshot-1108.png

That is a screenshot of my CPU in Task Manager and CPU vitals in my Omen hub

Do you need to see my processes?

thanks

Jun 16, 2022
I don't know what to open to help show you, open YouTube maybe? I say that because they are the temps you're seeing as my system is currently sluggish. Everything is slow as I take the screenshots for you. Even as I opened the OMEN hub to take the screenshot it was very slow?

Thanks

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
https://i.postimg.cc/ZRKKRgvj/Screenshot-1148.png

I have Solitaire open, YouTube, Anaconda Prompt, Task Manager and Omens gaming Hub open

Each one took forever, one by one waiting for them to open.

Thanks

Again, the CPU here is basically at idle.

If we can't even get basic information about temperatures at load, I don't see what help I can provide. Since this is a prebuilt, I'd recommend you take advantage of the warranty.

Jun 16, 2022
Again, the CPU here is basically at idle.

If we can't even get basic information about temperatures at load, I don't see what help I can provide. Since this is a prebuilt, I'd recommend you take advantage of the warranty.

I sent you everything, screenshots of cpu temperatures, task manager. Omen hub all while in the moment of my computer in a sluggish state. What good would trying to force my cpu to heat up do? Clearly the issue wasn't cpu temps even I knew that but instead you come across rude and tell me to go with my Warrenty on a pc I've had for over a year.......
No, for those who come across this issue, if your temperatures and task manager look normal, try doing a chk dsk to see if any files are currupt, run a full virus scan, delete McAfee if you have it, then try performing a clean boot state to check if startup programs or services are causing the issue, which turned out to be the case for me..... Thanks to bleepingComputer.com....... Check their forums, very helpful.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I sent you everything, screenshots of cpu temperatures, task manager. Omen hub all while in the moment of my computer in a sluggish state. What good would trying to force my cpu to heat up do?

To see if there's an unusual temperature at a specific load. Do you also take your car to the mechanic and say "don't try and start it, it's broken!" It's about diagnosing an issue.

Clearly the issue wasn't cpu temps even I knew that

You start by getting all the information. I don't know what you know. Assuming someone's knowledge is an "extreamly" poor practice.

but instead you come across rude and tell me to go with my Warrenty on a pc I've had for over a year.......

And how exactly would I know when your "Warrenty" ran out? Among the myriad bits of info about your PC and how it was running that you did not deign to share with us was the date of purchase of this PC and/or when the warranty ran out.

Hey, my car doesn't work. Should I use the warranty? I'm not going to tell you when I bought the car or how many miles are on the odometer. But I'm totally going to call you rude if you don't deduce the right answer from the zero information I've given you about the car. It's got four wheels, does that assist you?

Jun 16, 2022
To see if there's an unusual temperature at a specific load. Do you also take your car to the mechanic and say "don't try and start it, it's broken!" It's about diagnosing an issue.

You start by getting all the information. I don't know what you know. Assuming someone's knowledge is an "extreamly" poor practice.

And how exactly would I know when your "Warrenty" ran out? Among the myriad bits of info about your PC and how it was running that you did not deign to share with us was the date of purchase of this PC and/or when the warranty ran out.

Hey, my car doesn't work. Should I use the warranty? I'm not going to tell you when I bought the car or how many miles are on the odometer. But I'm totally going to call you rude if you don't deduce the right answer from the zero information I've given you about the car. It's got four wheels, does that assist you?

You're completely correct, how would you know that my warrenty had ran out. You made a complete assumption without asking, a random unprofessional response for whatever reason I don't know.
I answered all of your questions but for some reason you became impatient and fixated on an idea simply because I didn't know how to stress a cpu for diagnosis. Ain't it the majority of average Joe's that come here for help??? Another assumption you made thinking me loading solitaire and a few other app would not be sufficient for you.
I already clarified I didn't know what to open to help you.
"hey, to stress the cpu, here are some links or ideas of how to do so" would have been a lot more helpful. Instead I get "actually do something with the cpu 🙄...... Again! You aint listening..... Arghh I can't help you, go cash your warrenty in"
You can sit there at your desktop, having a negative response to a customer metaphorically speaking of a car and 4 wheels with a scenario inaccurate to the situation. Bottom line is, you was unprofessional, I went elsewhere to bleepingComputer forums, and they solved my issue within 15 minutes.... I first messaged you 2 days ago 🙄

Have a nice day

Op, sorry I have to go with the person who replied. I’m also a PC tech/Helpdesk/ IT guy. You didn’t really give good information that was useful aside from the system specs. I’m glad you found the answers to what was going on, but for example, when I’m working on a system like this, idle temperatures don’t tell much. If you say my computer runs slow when I play games but you don’t give the temperature for when the game is open, that makes your system harder to diagnose.

That said maybe you should have asked what they were meaning, and someone should have explained to you what application such as ryzen master, etc to use. For example, I’m not always a fan of stock cpu coolers. The cpu may run fine at idle, but sometimes they can get to warm for my taste when under a load, at which point I know to apply new thermal paste and or get a better cooler. Again, glad you got an answer that worked for you, just when you ask a question, if you aren’t sure of something ask what to do, and people are usually willing to help here.

A final note since we talked about your computer being slow. If you didn’t purchase a subscription to mcafee, uninstall it. Staying with windows 10 Microsoft put windows defender in the systems that is free, and actually usually seems to do a decent job. Also you can use task manager and the startup tab to find a list of many programs starting when you start your pc, and you can disable them. You might find you can disable many of the stock hp applications for example and your system will probably speed up a little more. One reason I don’t like prebuilt PCs sometimes is that they put extra applications on them that aren’t needed and you have to spend a few minutes it feels like removing them so that the pc can run it’s best.

Jun 16, 2022
Hi there, you sound like a polite guy.....
I did ask for help, I explained I didn't know what to run to help stress the cpu, the response I got was to go use my warrenty....
In regards to your first paragraph, my system was very sluggish the moment I logged into windows, nothing was opened, my pc was complete idle and temperatures were normal. For your example I wasn't even able to load a game from idle the system was that slow. I was showing everything in the moment of the issue taking place,
Speaking with another expert, he confirmed using logic that It'd either be a virus on my system or something to do with my startup programmes/services, installed McAfee etc. I was given options, since task manager showed no over usage taking place. This made much more sense, so using a clean boot state that I was guided through doing, I was able to process eliminate and It turned out to be the services for my HP omen gaming hub, something new I learnt.
DSzymborski was just rude, how can you send someone away simply because they weren't getting it, without giving any options. Clearly I am a novice and he for no reason bece impatient over that. Which sparked an argument that inevitably left you to give your opinion.

Funny because, in the whole 2 days of DSzymborski only telling me to stress a cpu but not actually how to do so, you've thought me more in one message lol.

Thanks

If you suspect viruses, windows defender isn’t actually terrible. They have a scan option that can intercept the pc at boot up. If you are using it for home use, you can download malware bytes. They also have a program called adwcleaner that is good about cleaning up programs that just may be slowing down your pc. You may find that you want to go through your system, a lot of times it seems like manufacturers install software that is unneeded. Depending on the system I like to spend a few minutes cleaning things up. If you hit control alt delete, go to the startup tab, and you can see the applications that start up with the computer.

As for mcafee, I’ll just say mcafee isn’t on my short list of applications to use.

Jun 16, 2022
Thanks man, I may just download adwcleaner, because even though I have disabled the HP omen services to keep my pc running smoothly, it means I now have no control over my fans whatsoever, rgb etc. I tried installing a third party app "FanControl" to control all my pc fans, but the program doesn't recognise them as it seems the fans are integrated into the gaming hub software. Which means now I have to be extreamly carful as the cpu and gpu can heat up while the fans just remain at a low rpm, I mainly play games and do AI machine learning with gpu acceleration, so quite a problem for me atm. I'm thinking my only option is to upgrade my motherboard I'm not sure.
Yeah I haven't really heard good things about McAfee haha.

Thanks