[SOLVED] My PC is running slower after installing graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2019
I bought a graphics card last week and just installed it tonight and now my PC is running significantly slower than it was when it was using the on-board graphics card.

Programs that would open instantly now take around 3-5 seconds to open. Windows 10 also runs slowly, it is like the CPU is messing up now or something.

Basically I had to disable the on-board graphics in the device manager before installing my new graphic card, and I have also downloaded the graphics card drivers for the new graphics card.

I need to use the graphics card for gaming because the PC won't run the games without the graphics card but with the new graphics card installed everything except being inside the game runs significantly slower, even the menus for the game is slower and only the actual gameplay runs better.

I also do not know how to re-enable the on board graphics card to try running the PC with the on-board graphics. I also overclocked the CPU and RAM after it started running slower and that made no difference at all and it is still running exactly the same.

PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200G (w/ on board graphics) -> overclocked to 3900
Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: 450W Corsair Bronze Rated
240 GB SSD
RAM: Patriot Viper 4 Series 3000MHz 8GB Dual Channel DDR4 -> overclocked to 3200
Windows 10

Oct 19, 2019
I also just did the AMD Driver Cleanup Utility to get rid of the AMD drivers for the on board graphics and that didn't seem to make a difference either

Basically I had to disable the on-board graphics in the device manager before installing my new graphic card, and I have also downloaded the graphics card drivers for the new graphics card.
The Vega graphics are disabled when you install a video card and you shouldn't need to disabled anything in the device manager. The only thing you should have had to do was uninstall the Vega graphics driver and software and install the Nvidia driver for the GTX 1050TI from the Nvidia driver download webpage https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/153210.

If you have taken the 1050ti out, put it back in. Set your bios back to factory defaults and start over from there, setting everything you require in bios. Don't overclock until you check to make sure all your devices are installed correctly in the device manager. After doing that test games and programs for the problems you describe. If the problems are gone, set your overclock back to 3.9Ghz, but leave the memory at advertised speed and timings and try running games and programs again.

I bought a graphics card last week and just installed it tonight and now my PC is running significantly slower than it was when it was using the on-board graphics card.

Programs that would open instantly now take around 3-5 seconds to open. Windows 10 also runs slowly, it is like the CPU is messing up now or something.

I need to use the graphics card for gaming because the PC won't run the games without the graphics card but with the new graphics card installed everything except being inside the game runs significantly slower, even the menus for the game is slower and only the actual gameplay runs better.

I also do not know how to re-enable the on board graphics card to try running the PC with the on-board graphics. I also overclocked the CPU and RAM after it started running slower and that made no difference at all and it is still running exactly the same.

PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200G (w/ on board graphics) -> overclocked to 3900
Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: 450W Corsair Bronze Rated
240 GB SSD
RAM: Patriot Viper 4 Series 3000MHz 8GB Dual Channel DDR4 -> overclocked to 3200
Windows 10

I used to run a integrated gpu/cpu the AMD A8 5600k... terrible little piece of hardware but I learned a couple things.

1, the drivers for your integrated graphics do not matter when it comes to installing a gpu and its drivers as you do not even plug in your monitor to the same port.

The gpu has its own port, and the integrated gpu has its own port on the mobo. The only conflict you could have is if both the gpu and the integrated gpu ran off the same port. But since they dont, they do not communicate with eachother and would not cause a conflict.

I see you have a 450w psu and although thats about the bare minimum I would want for your rig, it could cause performance issues when you get into overclocking n such because every psu has a optimal curve, and once you get past the peak of that curve, you can get a lot of system instability if all your settings are not spot on to the tee. Also you added in a gpu which is drawing more power from the psu.

Whats the exact model of your psu and have you tried reverting your bios to stock settings and trying again?

Also have you tried running a stress test on your rig to see if any errors pop up on certain hardware?

I mean its not uncommon for hardware to start to fail, even though it would seem coincidental since you just added a new gpu and things went bad, but it would still be ideal to run some tests on all your hardware to make sure everything is working properly.

Now, 1 option is, figure out how to reenable your integrated graphics. Take out the gpu. Reconnect to the mobo, and see if you still have an issue. If you DO NOT still have an issue connecting back to the integrated graphics, then that tells us that either your psu cannot supply enough power for the system to run optimally, or something is wrong with the GPU or its drivers that is causing a conflict.

I see you have a 450w psu and although thats about the bare minimum I would want for your rig, it could cause performance issues when you get into overclocking n such because every psu has a optimal curve, and once you get past the peak of that curve, you can get a lot of system instability if all your settings are not spot on to the tee. Also you added in a gpu which is drawing more power from the psu.
I highly doubt the PSU would be an issue. The Ryzen 3 2200g OC'ed to 3.9Ghz with a GTX 1050ti, should only be using up to 180 watts at the wall. The OPs system is likely using only around 40% or less of the total capacity of that 450 watt PSU at the top end of power draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.