my PC is using way more ram than normal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014
PC
Processor - AMD FX 8320 Black Edition (8 Cores @ 3.5GHz)
Graphics Card - AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 270X 4GB OC edition
RAM - 2x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X (8GB DDR3 @ 1866)
Power Supply - 850watt EVGA SuperNOVA G2
Motherboard - GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

My pc normal uses around 20% of ram just running idle after start up but i turend it on and the ram usage is at 70% and im running AVG and Malware Bytes to see if its malware or a virus
any idea what could be causing all my ram to become used?

Solution
Well there are definitely some odd things here. At this point it might be easier to knock out the system and reinstall Windows than to pick at little bugs which could be tough to nail down. If you have the install disk and some time to re-do everything, that is the surest way to clear all these issues. Just make sure you save any files you don't want to lose on an external drive.

Short of that you could throw a bunch of other cleaners and antimalware programs at it, though the chances of success aren't 100%

The copies in SYSWOW64 (on a 64 bit windows) are the 32 bit versions of the files needed for compatibility

That probably would do more harm than good. Even though some files in there might be misbehaving the folder is an important folder needed to be able to run 32 bit software (which includes a lot of common programs)

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014

ohhhhhhh okay okay probably my best bet is to do a fresh install of windows

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014

:) thank you
and i rebooted into windows normally now and my usage is at 50% still high but better
another question, if i re install windows would i have to reinstall my games from steam even tho they are on a separate hard drive. i know some games put files into the windows files. would those be affected?

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014

thank you :) im gonna try one more thing and if it still doesn't work then ill do a fresh install

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014

I finally got something to sorta help i tried the recovery and the idle usage is now around 35% to 40% with 3 to 4 GB of ram being used.. Do you thing a fresh install would still be the best way to go?

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014

thats my ram usage right now after a fresh boot my cpu is at 2% and ram is at 39%
If i do a fresh install it would be an opportune time for me to get an SSD to start fresh on i guess