Question My PC isn't working anymore after removing CMOS battery.

Mar 17, 2019
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I'm also italian so sorry for any mistake.
My system is formed by:
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Ryzen 5 2400G (4.05 OC)
RX580 4G Sapphire nitro+
2x4 HyperX Fury 2667 (3000 OC)
EVGA W1 600w 80+ white
HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda
Cooler Master Masterbox lite 3.1

After months of test i reached peak score on cinebench r15, one day, on one of my tests, as usual, It starts being unstable, so i go to remove the CMOS battery. Doesn't turn on anymore. I've done A LOT. of tests. Trust me. I did order a new motherboard, but same results as the old one. What could It be?

Installed the CMOS battery upside down?

CMOS battery was under the graphics card, so you had to remove the graphics card to remove the CMOS battery and didn't reinstall the graphics card correctly or failed to reconnect one of the power connectors to the graphics card? Or reconnected something else wrong?

Does it not POST or BOOT, or does it not even power up? No lights or anything at all? No fans?

Did you disconnect power or switch off the PSU on the back when you removed the CMOS battery? If so, did you switch it back ON?

Mar 17, 2019
Installed the CMOS battery upside down?

CMOS battery was under the graphics card, so you had to remove the graphics card to remove the CMOS battery and didn't reinstall the graphics card correctly or failed to reconnect one of the power connectors to the graphics card? Or reconnected something else wrong?

Does it not POST or BOOT, or does it not even power up? No lights or anything at all? No fans?

Did you disconnect power or switch off the PSU on the back when you removed the CMOS battery? If so, did you switch it back ON?

It does boot, but no post or anything. Even if i try to unplug power from the rx580, it doesn't even show the error "connect power to the gpu".

If it doesn't POST, then it doesn't boot. Boot means "load the operating system". That happens after the POST process. What you are describing is simply that it powers on. Is there no display of ANY kind? Not able to access BIOS, BUT, unit powers on and fans come on etc?

Try this.

Power off. Unplug the power supply from the wall. Remove the graphics card. Plug your monitor cable into the motherboard output (iGPU will be in use). Remove the CMOS battery again and make sure you leave it out for a FULL five minutes. DURING those five minutes, press the power button on your case for 30 seconds continuously. After the five minutes, reinstall the CMOS battery, making sure to install it with the smooth side up and the side with the smaller contact surface down. The printed specifications and model number of the battery should be facing up towards you and visible when installed.

Reconnect power to the PSU and power on. See if there is any change. If there is not, double check all you memory to be sure it is fully seated in the slots AND that they are installed in the A2 and B2 slots ONLY. Those are the second and fourth slots away from the CPU.

Still no change. Bench test the motherboard as follows.

Mar 17, 2019
If it doesn't POST, then it doesn't boot. Boot means "load the operating system". That happens after the POST process. What you are describing is simply that it powers on. Is there no display of ANY kind? Not able to access BIOS, BUT, unit powers on and fans come on etc?

Try this.

Power off. Unplug the power supply from the wall. Remove the graphics card. Plug your monitor cable into the motherboard output (iGPU will be in use). Remove the CMOS battery again and make sure you leave it out for a FULL five minutes. DURING those five minutes, press the power button on your case for 30 seconds continuously. After the five minutes, reinstall the CMOS battery, making sure to install it with the smooth side up and the side with the smaller contact surface down. The printed specifications and model number of the battery should be facing up towards you and visible when installed.

Reconnect power to the PSU and power on. See if there is any change. If there is not, double check all you memory to be sure it is fully seated in the slots AND that they are installed in the A2 and B2 slots ONLY. Those are the second and fourth slots away from the CPU.

I Will try this ASAP. Thanks.

Mar 17, 2019

Try this.

Nothing. Did as so. Thanks anyways.

Mar 18, 2019
You didn't by chance notice a static shock go into your motherboard when you touched it did you? Ideally the answer to this question is no. Are there any LED error lights on the mobo indicating what the problem with the post is? It makes me think a power cable isn't connected properly somewhere.

Mar 17, 2019
You didn't by chance notice a static shock go into your motherboard when you touched it did you? Ideally the answer to this question is no. Are there any LED error lights on the mobo indicating what the problem with the post is? It makes me think a power cable isn't connected properly somewhere.

no. i will test if the psu delivers the right power to all components in these days.

After months of test i reached peak score on cinebench r15, one day, on one of my tests, as usual, It starts being unstable, so i go to remove the CMOS battery. Doesn't turn on anymore.
I don't understand what you are saying.

Doing tests for months? for what purpose? was there something wrong?

UNSTABLE = explain.

What compelled you to removing battery may fix your problem?

Not sure what any of those questions matter now since the unit isn't powering on anymore. Does it really matter why somebody got into an argument and got shot or is repairing the damage from the gunshot wound the only thing that really matters at that point?