[SOLVED] My PC keeps freezing up with the latest feature updates following ver. 1909 (both 2004 and now 20H2). I feel like I tried everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unpolarize

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2015
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 20H2
Build: 19042.844

Specs w/ Driver Information:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X.
    • Default Ryzen Balanced Power Setting.
  • RAM: G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR)
    • Current Speed (Default w/ D.O.C.P. Disabled): 2133 MHz.
  • MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
    • BIOS Version: 3405
    • AMD Chipset Driver: 2.13.27.501
    • Intel Bluetooth Driver: 22.30.0.4
    • Intel Wireless WiFi Driver: 22.30.0.11
    • Realtek LAN Driver: 10.42.526.2020
    • Realtek Audio Driver: 6.0.8971.1
  • GPU: MSI Gaming X RTX 2060 Super
    • NVIDIA Driver: 461.72 (Game Ready)
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD.
    • Latest Firmware.
  • PSU: EVGA 750W G2 Gold.
What I tried:
  • I cloned my stable build of Windows 10 (1909).
  • Wiped my SSD and all of its partitions, and performed a new Windows 10 installation to version 20H2.
  • I updated all of my drivers and to their latest versions as listed above.
    • I was able to get the latest Intel Bluetooth and WiFi drivers through an optional Windows update.
    • The rest of the drivers I downloaded directly form ASUS, except for the chipset driver that I got directly from AMD.
  • I just now updated my motherboard's BIOS setting and optimized its defaults.
    • I have yet to confirm if this fixed anything since my PC freezes at random times, BUT I still want to see if there are any other possible fixes I should think about.
When did this begin?
  • This behavior started with the feature update to version 2004. I roll-backed the update then to ver. 1909, tried ver. 20H2 when it came out, and roll-backed that when the behavior continued.
    • Windows Update started to force the 20H2 version recently with every 1909 Cumulative Update, so that is the reason why I decided to do a back-up and fresh installation.
  • Note: this isn't due to any recent behavior with my NVIDIA Drivers since this started all the way back months ago, and I keep my drivers updated with a clean installation regularly.
UPDATE:
  • The BIOS update didn't fix anything. My PC froze twice after updating it.
    • During the second time it froze, I hit the power button on my PC and then the power button on my secondary monitor. Right when I hit the power button on my secondary monitor, my main monitor went black and I got some sort of error message that went away too quickly before my PC shutdown. This makes me think that it has to do with how my NVIDIA drivers and Windows 10 are managing my displays? Or maybe my NVIDIA Audio Drivers are at fault here?
      • I went ahead and unplugged my secondary monitor and disabled the Audio Drivers for my GPU.

Last edited:
Solution
The only difference I can see between your problem and mine is that mine starts by beincoming unresponsive and within a few minutes (about 10mins) freezes Over. Can you suggest any. My Monitor only has HDMI ports and the MOBO has HDMI & VGA as well.

Hello, sorry for any confusion by my previous 'answer.' I have since determined the actual problem to what I've been experiencing.

If, by chance, you are using any NZXT devices (e.g. AIO, fan controller) on a Ryzen-based system, which requires NZXT's CAM software to perform optimally, then this has apparently been a known bug with the program since the Windows ver. 2004 update was pushed out. NZXT is just now addressing the bug, but it is their priority to fix it...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does it freeze in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

ryzen balanced is being removed soon, can just use normal Balanced now that Microsoft have fixed it.

Unpolarize

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2015
Does it freeze in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

ryzen balanced is being removed soon, can just use normal Balanced now that Microsoft have fixed it.

Oddly enough, it seems that I just needed to disconnect/reconnect my monitors from my GPU. Apparently the 2004 feature update adjusted some things involving the monitors with differing refresh rates. This was likely the culprit.

Reactions: Ramneet

Ramneet

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Oddly enough, it seems that I just needed to disconnect/reconnect my monitors from my GPU. Apparently the 2004 feature update adjusted some things involving the monitors with differing refresh rates. This was likely the culprit.
The only difference I can see between your problem and mine is that mine starts by beincoming unresponsive and within a few minutes (about 10mins) freezes Over. Can you suggest any. My Monitor only has HDMI ports and the MOBO has HDMI & VGA as well.

Unpolarize

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2015

Hello, sorry for any confusion by my previous 'answer.' I have since determined the actual problem to what I've been experiencing.

If, by chance, you are using any NZXT devices (e.g. AIO, fan controller) on a Ryzen-based system, which requires NZXT's CAM software to perform optimally, then this has apparently been a known bug with the program since the Windows ver. 2004 update was pushed out. NZXT is just now addressing the bug, but it is their priority to fix it. Unfortunately, there is no known fix if this relates to your situation as it does to mine. If it does relate, then you can email the product manager of CAM and request to be on the distribution list for any test builds that aim to fix the bug. He offers this along with his email in the link I provided. I can personally confirm that uninstalling CAM has solved the issue I was having.

If it doesn't relate to your situation, then I apologize since I don't have a suggestion for what it might be.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.