My PC keeps freezing which is then followed by my anti-virus, McAfee, telling me it quarantined KEYHOOK64.DLL

dragon3025

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
It happens mostly when I play a modded Minecraft game or something that requires a lot of memory. My PC will freeze, so I have to force it to shut of then turn back on again. After logging in, my anti-virus tells me that it quarantined KEYHOOK64.DLL. I opened up the quarantine information and it says it's a:

JTI/Suspect.196612!
1f6da45eaaab

(I don't know if it's all one word or not).

I tried doing a scan before, and it didn't seem to work (I'm going to try again soon).

This is getting very frustrating. Yesterday it did it ever 2 hours. My Anti-Virus has quarantined something it shouldn't of in the past; a well known game making program from Steam that I'm sure is reliable. I don't know if that's what's happening here, or if something bad is in my PC that keeps making this file.

Personally, download ZHPCleaner and run that.
I suspect something on your computer has compromised a proper file. I hate mcafee, so I wouldn't recommend using it.
I personally use Comodo Internet Security, but I have little faith in all Anti Virus software.
The firewall is solid and I trust that more than Anti Virus.

dragon3025

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

I'm not to fond of McAfee either, but I'm in a situation where I have to use it, but I'm still going to use ZHPCleaner.

I just ran that program and it apparently fixed about 30 different things. After restarting my PC, McAfee tells me that it detected a virus, KEYHOOK64.DLL and wanted me to restart, (before this, it just said that it quarantined it and didn't ask for any restart). I hoping that was it, and it's gone, but I wont know until I've used my PC for a while to see if it happens again.

dragon3025

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

McAfee just said it quarantined the same thing again, lucky this time I wasn't playing a game and my PC didn't freeze. This could be a file that isn't really a virus (I'm not saying I'm going to restore the file, because I know that could be dangerous).

dragon3025

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

I'll have to do that when I have time for it. For now I used this guide for testing my ram: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/test-your-ram-with-windows-memory-diagnostic-tool/ which said to use mdsched.exe. After running a test it said that there were no problems with my ram.