[SOLVED] My PC keeps on restarting, even in the middle of Windows installation. What do I do now?

Jun 3, 2021
It started off as a simple crash (I think there's no BSOD), and lead to a restart. After I restart once, the pc keeps on restarting after a few seconds/minutes of logged in.
I decided to perform a reset (but keeping my files) and reinstall my Windows 10. I think it went okay. I manage to run Window's Memory Diagnostic tool but it says no error on my RAMs. After a few minutes of restarting my PC, it keeps on restarting again. And it keeps on happening even though I didn't open any program.
I then decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 (i.e. clean all files and data from the HDD). During this installation, the PC unexpectedly restarted. Now, I can no longer boot into my PC and stuck in a restart loop.
So my question is, what do I do now? How do I check which part is causing the problem (so I can replace it)? Noted that I noticed the issue started to happen after one day of the Windows update, which leads me to reinstall Windows.
My build:
  • CPU: i7-8700
  • Mobo: Asrock H370m Pro
  • RAM: 2x16GB Trident G.Skill
  • GPU: Zotac GTX 1080
  • PSU: 720w
My best guess is either Mobo or RAM. But I don't want to buy blindly

Solution
what stage of the install does it crash at? before it copies info to drives or after?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

what ssd/hdd do you have?

Colif

Win 11 Master
what stage of the install does it crash at? before it copies info to drives or after?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

what ssd/hdd do you have?

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was really tired yesterday so I didn't try to answer any questions.

• CPU: i7-8700
  • Mobo: Asrock H370m Pro
  • RAM: 2x16GB Trident G.Skill
  • GPU: Zotac GTX 1080
Superflower Leadex III (actually 850w)

ram passes tests.

I would suggest this but if you crash almost right away, it won't be able to finish - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

does it crash if you are in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

An NVME M.2 SSD for my windows (bought in 2018) and another 2 SSD + 2 HDD

which brands are the drives? its unlikely to be the ssd or hdd but best test them all (I would expect boot would be slower if it was a hdd)

Its not windows if you don't get any BSOD. its some hardware.