[SOLVED] My PC overheats even after new thermal paste has been applied and a new fan has been installed.

Jul 28, 2019
I'm not very knowledgeable about PC's so please go easy on me, I bought a pc a good 3 years ago from amazon however at some random point it started overheating and crashing at as much as a youtube video. This has not happened before and I assumed that it was because the CPU fan was broken and I needed new thermal paste. So I was feeling generous and upgraded my power adapter and my fan applied the new thermal paste and since then it has gotten a bit better to where I can watch an hour of youtube before it crashes. I don't know what to do at this point other than just taking spare parts from the pc and building a new pc as a whole, as I have friends who could help me with that. I wanted to at least try and save the pc before throwing money at my problems. The pc was overclocked originally, however, I have reset it, it didn't help sadly. If someone knows what's going on, or had the same problems and somehow fixed it please do tell how, thank you.

Also not an English speaker originally so excuse my poor English

Solution
I've read that nail polish remover could be used. May or may not be an issue.

But the temperatures you mention are too high for the CPU, and (as you mention) surprising it doesn't shut down. The CPU cooler should be good as well, but given what you have mentioned it's probably best to double check on the installation as something isn't quite right there. Would personally suspect bad contact with the CPU.
Jul 28, 2019
English is fine.

What are the system specs?

How do you know it's overheating? (What are you using to monitoring thermals?)

Did you clean off the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol?

By 'power adapter' do you mean power supply unit?
I'm using advanced SystemCare 11 for monitoring my heat, as for system specs my graphics card is an AMD Radeon R7 360 Series.
I have an Intel Core i5-6400 2.70ghz
8 gigs of ram
A friend of mine applied the thermal paste since I thought I'm gonna break something he just removed the old thermal paste with nail polish remover I didn't question it as I thought he knew what he was doing.
And with power adapter, I mean power supply unit yes.
My CPU fan is a Ben Nevis advanced, and my new power supply unit is a be quiet one with 650w.
If you need any additional information please also tell me where I can find that information as I'm not that well versed with computers. Already thank you for the quick reply.
Edit: I should also add that normally first my CPU overheats to about a 100°C And if that doesn't overheat because I'm not doing much on the pc my GPU starts to overheat slowly. The hottest I have seen it was 95°C though my pc rarely comes this far without shutting down in the first place. I have 2 kinds of shutdowns one where the pc just shuts down completely and it's just out cold and one where my pc still somewhat turns off (meaning all the things connected to it lose power/connection Desktop, keyboard yada yada) but the pc itself still is on the fans are still working and the power supply light is still on. I haven't noticed if it has a specific reason why there are 2 kinds of shutdown but I shall keep watch.

Last edited:
I've read that nail polish remover could be used. May or may not be an issue.

But the temperatures you mention are too high for the CPU, and (as you mention) surprising it doesn't shut down. The CPU cooler should be good as well, but given what you have mentioned it's probably best to double check on the installation as something isn't quite right there. Would personally suspect bad contact with the CPU.

Solution
Aug 5, 2019
Also check if you have proper airflow. A gpu overheating after a cpu goes hot kinda sounds like trapped heat. The basic principle is that your computer suchs fresh air in on the front and the hot air out on the back. If the front is blocked or for some reason air does not circulate well internally that could be an issue. Ultimately try opening up the side pannel on your pc and have a table fan blow on it. If it stops overheating then airflow is an issue!