Prominent
Sep 8, 2020
I currently have :
I3-6100
GA-H110M-H
8x2 Gb HyperX
500Gb WD Blue
A generic 700w powersupply

My pc just randomly dies especially when I'm playing games, when I turn my WiFi off it lasts considerably longer than with the WiFi turned on. I do keep monitoring my cpu and ram usage, the ram usage doesn't spike or behave abnormally but the cpu usage spikes like from 15% to 30% and sometimes goes up to 50% but when I'm playing my games it reaches up to 70 above. When it first dies it sometimes goes back to my desktop but if I keep on turning it on it no longer goes back into my desktop and just turns off and on.

OK, sometimes it boots up and it directly goes to my desktop /home screen, sometimes it goes into bios mode and turns off and I do get the blue screen but it rarely happens.

Solution
bosston_computer_power_supply__1595749972_16067c49_progressive.jpg

This is notorious garbage. It's not 700 watts. It's theoretically a 220W PSU at most if this was 1997, but since +12V power is what most of the PC uses, it's basically a 108W PSU. The only thing this should ever be connected to is the conveyer belt at a recycling center.

Lutfij

Titan
The generic bit is what does inspire confidence as well as the possibility that the PSU is what's failing. You should source a donor PSU for the system with at least 450W of power for the entire build, but the PSU needs to be of reliable build quality, from your friend or neighbor.

Reactions: Shogunate

Shogunate

Prominent
Sep 8, 2020
The generic bit is what does inspire confidence as well as the possibility that the PSU is what's failing. You should source a donor PSU for the system with at least 450W of power for the entire build, but the PSU needs to be of reliable build quality, from your friend or neighbor.
A faulty psu can lead to my cpu's high usage? And the reason why my pc shutdowns?

A faulty psu can lead to my cpu's high usage? And the reason why my pc shutdowns?
50% CPU spike is not much for a 2 core processor. I would expect much more on a (relatively) high load. Not likely to overload motherboard either.
I agree that "A generic 700w powersupply" is most probable cause. PSU having at least twice declared power need still doesn't guaranty stability, specially if few years old. It could be Megawatt strong and still be unstable !

Reactions: Shogunate