My PC randomly turns itself on.

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013
So my brother and I both have pcs that I've built. At completely random times they'll turn on. It's usually in the evening, but it's still very weird. I went online and tried looking through some bios settings that others have recommended to check, but all the potential culprits seemed to not be the problem. I'm wondering if its a motherboard or power supply issue.

I think it's a Asrock motherboard issue. Seeing as we both have Asrock h97 chipset motherboards.

Here are our systems:

Mine:
i5 4690k stock
8gb ram
Asrock h97m anniversary
Sapphire Nitro r9 380 4gb
Evga Supernova G1 650watt psu

Brothers:
i3 4170
8gb ram
asrock h97m pro4
MSI R9 270
Corsair Cx 500m power supply

I thought maybe its a faulty power button, but I've switched cases and power supplies and this issue occurred on my original psu and case as well. My brothers system has been as is. Hasnt changed.

Any advice? Also the systems do not randomly shut off, if that helps. Its just randomly starting up on their own.

Solution

Interesting that must be a feature unique to Z97, I just upgraded to Z170 and I haven't seen my PC randomly turn itself on like that, where my Z97 PC does that and I have to keep my PSU turned off in the back because of it.

InvalidError

Titan
Do you have externally powered USB devices? At one point, I had an external HDD that was back-feeding power to the motherboard through the USB cable and that caused my PC to randomly turn on. Took me a while to figure that out.

Another device that caused me trouble was a USB to PS/2 mouse+keyboard adapter which caused my PC to often wake-on-keyboard/mouse.

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Hmm. When I'm home I'll try looking through the settings. I know that Wake on Lan was one that was recommended for me to look into. I did a while back and it was disabled. I've even noticed that my parent's pc which I also put a Asrock h97m pro4 into will randomly wake from sleep even with no interaction from a mouse or keyboard. When I look through the settings I'll be sure to say what I find.

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013

I don't think it does, but i'll look into that. I think they had something called AppCharger that I could enable, but I never did. When I'm home I'll look into that and post what I discover.

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013

So on my pc, I have a razer mouse, a cooler master mechanical keyboard, a xbox 360 wireless receiver for controllers and a single monitor. I dont charge anything on my pc because the devices need more power and I guess now I have to use usb adapters that plug into wall outlets. When i get the chance ill try disconnecting certain devices to see if they're the culprit.

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I figured it out. It was Intel Smart Connect within my motherboard's bios. I found it out from this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2409859/computer-powering.html. Since I made that change I havent seen the pc turn itself on. I waited a while to respond because I wanted to make sure it was actually resoled. Thank you.

g-unit1111

Titan

Interesting that must be a feature unique to Z97, I just upgraded to Z170 and I haven't seen my PC randomly turn itself on like that, where my Z97 PC does that and I have to keep my PSU turned off in the back because of it.

Solution

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013

I actually have h97 but yeah it could be something with the chipset.