MY PC resumes automatically from hibernation!!

M94Khaled

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
Hello Guys,

I've Configured my Desktop Server to accept WOL packets, Every thing works fine and it wakes from shutdown with no problems over lan.

Ok my main problem is that if i tried to hibernate the machine , th machine turns off and after 2 seconds it resumes automatically so the only option to make the machine powers off is to shut it down every time , SO ANNOYING since i'm working with vms all the time and i don't want to suspend all the vms i'm working on every time i want to shut the pc down.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Solution
Do you have any peripherals (e.g. a mouse or keyboard) connected to the server? If you haven't already I'd check they're not allowed to wake the computer (through device manager > [item] > properties > power save). I'd also check the bios for wakeup options to make sure there's not something enabled in there that is waking up the computer.

Whilst probably not the issue (as it seems the computer is hibernating, then coming out of it), I would also try typing 'powercfg -requests' at an elevated command prompt, just to check there are no services running that are preventing windows from hibernating.

Given the above, the next thing I'd probably try is to unplug the network cable, and then just see if the computer still wakes from hibernation.

HawkinsT

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
This is common with WOL. To fix the most likely cause, go to Network and Sharing Centre. Click 'Ethernet' (on the right), and click properties in the Ethernet Status dialogue that pops up. The click 'Configure...', select the 'Power Management' tab, and check the box 'Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer'. Let me know how you get on, and if this doesn't work, there are always other things to try.

M94Khaled

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016

Already Configured like that,
MpWsrka.png

HawkinsT

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Do you have any peripherals (e.g. a mouse or keyboard) connected to the server? If you haven't already I'd check they're not allowed to wake the computer (through device manager > [item] > properties > power save). I'd also check the bios for wakeup options to make sure there's not something enabled in there that is waking up the computer.

Whilst probably not the issue (as it seems the computer is hibernating, then coming out of it), I would also try typing 'powercfg -requests' at an elevated command prompt, just to check there are no services running that are preventing windows from hibernating.

Given the above, the next thing I'd probably try is to unplug the network cable, and then just see if the computer still wakes from hibernation.

Solution

M94Khaled

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016

After Checking your suggestions, I found that the cause of the problem was the wireless mouse and keyboard connected disconnecting them solved the issue.

Ok another thing, i'm having a trouble to make wake on wan, Port forwarding is configured and static ARP is set.
When i run an online port check for my domain it gives me open incase of my device is on once i turn off my devicr it responds that the port is closed so wake on wn not working?

HawkinsT

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
If port forwarding is configuerd correctly for your router, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working. I would start a new post as this is a separate issue, and make sure to state your router make/model.