My pc says its connected but has no Internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Hi there , I had no problems with my PC for months but now I seem to have a reacuring issue with connection.......about a week ago I turned on my PC and steam would not load and had an error msg then after a few checks I realized I couldn't load ie or origin either ,or anything internet based but windows said there ois nothing wrong with my connection ,after trying everything I could think of (resisting PC and router ,resetting IP address and fiddling with internet settings) I ran system restore which finally sorted it .......until today when I tried this morning yet again I had the same problem the only difference being that steam didn't fail with any error (just tryed to update forever ) but no internet based program work and windows is saying the isn't anything wrong ?

I run my PC wired directly into the router and have a PC right next to it that is experiencing no such issues .....
Any ideas what ois causing this and how to fix it as I can't keep on running system restore every other day
Thanks for any help

Solution
Stop the "so how are you posting this if you have no internet?" Don't be stupid and use some common sense. Codnan, try to see if you can browse the internet while booting into safemode, also check your tray bar for any adware security programs that might be blocking your internet connection.

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
.......well I did say I have 2 PCs 1 is my gaming PC (the one with the problem) and the other is a price of rubbish for the kids to play online games on (which has nothing wrong with it).........but to answer your question I also have a tablet and that is what I am using

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Yep ,but at the bottom of the screen in the tray windows claims to be connected and the resolve issues doesn't find anything ........I have ran system restore again now so it is working again but it has stopped before so it probably will again and it would be nice to know what could be causing it

static1120

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Stop the "so how are you posting this if you have no internet?" Don't be stupid and use some common sense. Codnan, try to see if you can browse the internet while booting into safemode, also check your tray bar for any adware security programs that might be blocking your internet connection.

Solution

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Thanks for a seriouse answer finally , in the end I reinstalled the whole PC which worked .then it stopped again but this time system restore worked .
I think it was caused by one of the windows updates ,which seem to cause loads of issues on my PC , since the second issue I have switched off automatic updates (after restoring to before the latest ones) and it hasn't had any issues since

Rach84

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

Hi, I have the same problem as Codnan. My partners computer and both the kids laptop work but my pc wont. I have opened up in safe mode like you have suggested and it worked! Any ideas how I can fix it now so I can run normally? thanks

static1120

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Run the computer normally and look in the tray bar for any programs running anything security related (usually adware that blocks your internet and asks you to buy It) get the name of such program and uninstall it restart into safe mode if it won't let you uninstall it... Most of the times they make these programs hard to get rid of... For the not to computer savvy lol... if the program is not in the uninstall programs list then look for the process name under task manager and right click and open file location then in safe mode go to that folder and delete the item...... Sorry for the long complicated solution but I hope it helps in some way

Cristhianc12345

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

Hi I have the same problem and I have another problem I went into safe mode and it's doing the same thing it's not letting me use the internet and the worst thing is that I don't know what to do u r my only hope pls help

Bloxorz

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Hey I also had the same problem with my computer saying it was connected to the internet but not letting me access any websites. I also booted it in Safe Mode hoping it would work but, it still would not let me access any websites.

What I used to fix the issue was ComboFix. This program from what I understand is pretty much an all-in-one magical computer fixing boss.
A few words of wisdom though:
If you use this program it will ask you to disable any Antivirus/Malware programs you have running, which you can if you want but from my experience there really is no need to, it hasn't effected my security programs at all. Once you run this bad boy though DO NOT I repeat DO NOT try and use your computer until the program is done doing its thing and your computer has been restarted. From experience it has caused a few issues when I tried to do other things while it was running. This program can be found on BleepingComputer.com(I apologize if putting this website in the forums causes any issues but I just wanted to help the users out. I am not in any way affiliated with this website or the program itself.)
Also just some geewiz information, this site has some other great programs on it to for pretty much anything security related.

Mrchava

Reputable
Jun 2, 2014

Hello Beth, use a flash drive on your daughter laptop, download the file from that computer and transfer the file to your broken computer, I'm trying it as I write this, hope it works

Mrchava

Reputable
Jun 2, 2014

I can also suggest you to deactivate your virus scanner, I had avast and for some reason it was the cause of my problems, I uninstalled it, then I connected to the net, downloaded a fresh free antivirus from avast and I've been happy ever since

Status
Not open for further replies.