[SOLVED] My PC shut down and only turns back on without the GPU plugged in

Solution
Is it «dangerous» to plug in a new gpu and use that? Can that one somehow Get fried as well?
Dangerous ... no. Can a new GPU get fried as well ... yes, but it's unlikely. For this to happen there would have to a physical fault with the motherboard or PSU. Such faults are normally bad enough that the PC will not boot no matter what. But, if you work enough with computers and you see all kinds of crazy stuff that shouldn't happen. Do you have an old GPU to test with (something cheap or outdated)?

Overheating damage is normally localize to the device that overheated. Can it lead to damage to other components ... again, unlikely. Overheating is most likely when a fan stops (failure, something in the fan blades, etc) or there is a...
If the computer works without the GPU (or with another GPU) and won't turn on when the GPU is installed, then logic says there is something wrong with the GPU. If you really want to test it, then install the GPU in another computer and see what happens.

How can this happen ... Most often it's due to overheating, sometimes an electrical surge or static discharge. Hard to say without more information.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just about as likely is the PSU. As was asked in the other thread:
PSU(s): Make, model, wattage, age, condition?
You said it's brand new - but there are amazing PSUs out there, and there are some that can, if we're being generous, be described as dumpster fires, so knowing the exact brand and model would be helpful.

Also, you should not have made a separate thread after being given one suggestion, and then not following up.

Mortka

Commendable
Feb 3, 2020
Just about as likely is the PSU. As was asked in the other thread:

You said it's brand new - but there are amazing PSUs out there, and there are some that can, if we're being generous, be described as dumpster fires, so knowing the exact brand and model would be helpful.

Also, you should not have made a separate thread after being given one suggestion, and then not following up.

first of all, sorry about making a new thread. Thought this would make it easier as im moving on with the problem.
The new psu was a CORSAIR rm750x v2 psu. Im going to return it though since its most likely not the PSU that was the problem. Without the gpu, the psu is working fine.

Mortka

Commendable
Feb 3, 2020
If the computer works without the GPU (or with another GPU) and won't turn on when the GPU is installed, then logic says there is something wrong with the GPU. If you really want to test it, then install the GPU in another computer and see what happens.

How can this happen ... Most often it's due to overheating, sometimes an electrical surge or static discharge. Hard to say without more information.
Is it «dangerous» to plug in a new gpu and use that? Can that one somehow Get fried as well?

Mortka

Commendable
Feb 3, 2020

Is it «dangerous» to plug in a new GPU? Like is anything else damaged because of the overheating/static discharge?

Dangerous ... no. Can a new GPU get fried as well ... yes, but it's unlikely. For this to happen there would have to a physical fault with the motherboard or PSU. Such faults are normally bad enough that the PC will not boot no matter what. But, if you work enough with computers and you see all kinds of crazy stuff that shouldn't happen. Do you have an old GPU to test with (something cheap or outdated)?

Overheating damage is normally localize to the device that overheated. Can it lead to damage to other components ... again, unlikely. Overheating is most likely when a fan stops (failure, something in the fan blades, etc) or there is a lot of dust in the heatsink fins.

As King_V said, this could be an issue with the PSU. An issue with 2 PSUs, while possible, is again unlikely.

Solution

Mortka

Commendable
Feb 3, 2020
Watch the language

Overheating damage is normally localize to the device that overheated. Can it lead to damage to other components ... again, unlikely. Overheating is most likely when a fan stops (failure, something in the fan blades, etc) or there is a lot of dust in the heatsink fins.

As King_V said, this could be an issue with the PSU. An issue with 2 PSUs, while possible, is again unlikely.
You see, i think the problem might have been static discharge, as my PC is standing on a Removed rug lol. Did not know that could ruin the gpu. Its not like a furry rug though, pretty rough rug. But how could that then ruin the gpu? Why not the psu for instance?
And no, i dont have another gpu to test with unfortunately, as this is my first PC build..

Last edited by a moderator:
You see, i think the problem might have been static discharge, as my PC is standing on a Removed rug lol. Did not know that could ruin the gpu. Its not like a furry rug though, pretty rough rug. But how could that then ruin the gpu? Why not the psu for instance?
And no, i dont have another gpu to test with unfortunately, as this is my first PC build..
The entire case of your computer is grounded while plugged in. There would be no static build up while the computer is sitting on the rug (or any other surface). Now rugs are pretty good at blocking vent, so I prefer my computer on a hard surface.

Now, if you unplugged your computer, rubbed your feet on the rug, and then touched the GPU, then you could have a static discharge.

Your other post implied you were just playing a game and the computer shut down and would not turn back on .... that just sounds like classic overheating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortka

Commendable
Feb 3, 2020
The entire case of your computer is grounded while plugged in. There would be no static build up while the computer is sitting on the rug (or any other surface). Now rugs are pretty good at blocking vent, so I prefer my computer on a hard surface.

Now, if you unplugged your computer, rubbed your feet on the rug, and then touched the GPU, then you could have a static discharge.

Your other post implied you were just playing a game and the computer shut down and would not turn back on .... that just sounds like classic overheating.
Ah, cheers. I left 3 hours for school and EAs afk’ing on bloody minecraft. Could be that, but it didnt turn off after 2 hours later. So a new GPU would fix it? And is it common that a fried gpu makes the PC unable to start? Or receive power rather

I have seen a faulty GPU prevent a computer from booting. Often when you hit the power switch, the fans will spin for a quarter second and then everything shuts off. Your motherboard should still be receiving power ... many motherboards have a power indicator LED (often red) and it should be glowing.

Will a new GPU fix it? Probably. A computer is a complex machine and working with limited information it's hard to say that this definitely the problem and here is the fix. That said, I would give it a 90% chance of fixing the issue. You're in school? I would be very surprised if one of your friends (or friend's parent that is a computer geek) didn't have an old GPU you could test with. I have 5 ... but then we have 8 computers in the house.

** You got a little computer shop in town? If you went in and started looking at $250 (or quid?) GPUs and then hesitated because you were not sure it would fix the issue, I would bet $10 they would test it for you free just to make the sale. It would have to be a smaller shop, not some big box store.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
first of all, sorry about making a new thread. Thought this would make it easier as im moving on with the problem.
The new psu was a CORSAIR rm750x v2 psu. Im going to return it though since its most likely not the PSU that was the problem. Without the gpu, the psu is working fine.
Well, that's a good PSU, so that is very UNLIKELY to be the problem. I guess a bad PSU could be at issue here (there are defective units on very rare occasion), but I'm now convinced the PSU is probably okay.

I'm leaning much more toward GPU or heat issues now.

Mortka

Commendable
Feb 3, 2020
I have seen a faulty GPU prevent a computer from booting. Often when you hit the power switch, the fans will spin for a quarter second and then everything shuts off. Your motherboard should still be receiving power ... many motherboards have a power indicator LED (often red) and it should be glowing.

Will a new GPU fix it? Probably. A computer is a complex machine and working with limited information it's hard to say that this definitely the problem and here is the fix. That said, I would give it a 90% chance of fixing the issue. You're in school? I would be very surprised if one of your friends (or friend's parent that is a computer geek) didn't have an old GPU you could test with. I have 5 ... but then we have 8 computers in the house.

** You got a little computer shop in town? If you went in and started looking at $250 (or quid?) GPUs and then hesitated because you were not sure it would fix the issue, I would bet $10 they would test it for you free just to make the sale. It would have to be a smaller shop, not some big box store.
I live in a fairly small town in Norway and we dont really have computer stores like they do in the US, which kind of sucks. Ive been looking at a GTX 1060 3gb online for like 100$ and might go for that.

Mortka

Commendable
Feb 3, 2020
Well, that's a good PSU, so that is very UNLIKELY to be the problem. I guess a bad PSU could be at issue here (there are defective units on very rare occasion), but I'm now convinced the PSU is probably okay.

I'm leaning much more toward GPU or heat issues now.
Yeah i was 100% sure it was the psu, but after i bought a new one and it still didnt work, i was sure it was the mobo. But now im fairly certain its the gpu which kind of sucks.