My PC shuts down while playing games

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rahulkamble9

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
My PC is 3 or 4 months old it was working good but suddenly maybe a month(or less) ago the problem started. I haven't tried many things but so far I came to know that it shuts down when I play for long hours. First time was when I played Mad max for many hours, my PC might have been overheated next time was when I played again(1 or 2 hours) and clicked exit.
No problem with the game cause the same thing happened while playing Batman Arkham Knight but I had completed that game before with no such problem. When I tested The Wolf among us it worked fine even while played for long hours(haven't tried many games as I am AFRAID) another game to mention AC unity it to worked fine but now I can play it for only approx.10-15 minutes. I accept i don't have any thing to cool my PC except some fans but there might also be some other reason or multiple reasons,also cannot understand is it CPU or GPU causing problem.

Specs: Asus M5 A97 LE R2.0 9 series chipset
HyerX 8gb ram
AMD FX6300 6 core 3.40Ghz
Sapphire R9 270x 4gb Oc edition
VIP Gold 500wt psu

Solution
Best way is to check is in BIOS and return to default settings, I would advise to overclock that CPU but make sure you know how and read few overclocking guides... for gpu you can check using catalyst software from AMD I believe...

cheapo gamer

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
ok reset your bios also to reset any overclocks your motherboard might be applying when you go to boot safemode and run aida 64 stress or benchmark that way nothing can use an oc while you do it, if it still crashes try using only 1 ram stick or switch slots and try borrowing someones powersupply

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
He does not OC as said in the very first posts also everything points for now to cooling... we don't need new ideas yet let him just concentrate on a one thing and test it properly.

@rahulkamble9

You can put vid on youtube and link it here.

rahulkamble9

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
Now I think this is just pointing to cooling issues as you said. IT STILL SHUTDOWN BUT PC RAN WELL AS IT DIDN'T SHUTDOWN TOO EARLY AND DID SHUTDOWN WHEN IT WAS HEATED

IT IS LIKE SURROUNDING TEMPERATURE MATTERS AND SO SHUTDOWN WAS VARIABLE SO FAR.
CAN This be...??
Cannot confirm as you need to check videos first.

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Yes surrounding temps also matter but after watching that vids I'm quite confident it's the CPU cooler and I could also bet that it has something to do with thermal paste. It was working fine back in the days but now it's not. If the thermal has dried then it's not transferring heat fast enough to the radiator so the CPU heat rises. Mobo controls the fan speed so if sensor shows temp rising mobo rises fan speed. Remember that sensor generally shows CPU temp not radiator temp meaning it might not be the cooler fault but there might be bad transfer from cpu to radiator/cooler.
So generally, the quickest solution might be detaching radiator and clearing if from the previous thermal paste then apply a new one and attach it again, if temps are still high (over 70ish) then you will need a better cooler.... simple.