My pc shuts down while playing games.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

doctorwhotardise

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
I have a budget pc build from August 2017 with:

PSU:Corsair VS450
GPU:VGA GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX1050 TI WINDFORCE OC 4G GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E
CPU:CPU INTEL PENTIUM DUAL CORE G4560 3.50GHZ
MotherBoard:GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H
RAM:1xCORSAIR CMV8GX4M1A2133C15 8GB DDR4 2133MHZ

I was playing at any resolution, at any graphics without any problems until 2 days ago. But yesterday my pc started shutting down while I was about to start playing. When I play not at high graphics and not at 1080p it is all good(no shutting down), but when I put high graphics and 1080p, the pc shuts down. For example, I am playing now GTA IV and PUBG. It was all good until 2 days ago, but from yesterday when I start playing any of them , the pc shuts down.

Any advise would be thankful.

Solution
The Corsair VS series is one of the lowest quality lines under the Corsair brand and dying PSUs is one of the most common reasons why computers mysteriously start randomly rebooting.

If checking CPU/GPU temperatures under load doesn't reveal anything suspicious and you didn't change anything software-wise since your PC began to randomly reboot, the PSU is the most likely suspect.

doctorwhotardise

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018

Ok , thank you. But there is a problem. I opened pubg now and the pc shutted down again. I don't know why. I have turned off c6/c7 and c8 and the problem still exists.

InvalidError

Titan
Explicitly disabling the states in BIOS rules out the possibility that your motherboard enabled them. It is still entirely possible that your motherboard already disabled them on its own (in which case explicitly disabling them has no effect) and your PSU simply isn't good enough to handle even that anymore. Aging/dying PSUs is the most common cause of formerly stable systems suddenly starting to mysteriously reboot for no apparent reason, especially with lower quality PSUs.

doctorwhotardise

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
Thank you. Can you tell me how to open pubg in window mode because when I open it , it is in fullscreen mode 1080p and pc shuts down. I want to open it in window mode to change the resolution into 720p.

InvalidError

Titan
I don't play FPS games, so no idea how to do anything in PUBG. If there is a way to change resolution without loading the game first, try googling it and you should be able to find it. It'll probably involve editing an init file somewhere or a registry entry.

doctorwhotardise

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
I have installed the psu almost a week now and the pc does not close. So the problem was the psu. I have not enable the c6/c7 and c8 states and I do not know if I will(please tell me if i should). And please tell me what answer to pick as the solution.

Aug 1, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I have the same problem of restart while playing games and really pissed off from last few months, my config are
Amd Ryzen 1200
Asus A320 mobo
Corsair Vengeance ddr4
MSI Radeon RX 570 Armor graphics Card
and Cooler MasterThunder 450 w (a bit old PSU)
What is the best affordable PSU right now ?
Please help @InvalidError

InvalidError

Titan
I haven't looked at PSUs in quite a while, prices shifted around quite a bit thanks to tariffs and other stuff. The 520W SeaSonic S12-II used to be routinely obtainable for well under $40, doesn't appear to be the case anymore, could be due to getting discontinued in favor for the outsourced S12-III for which there does not appear to be reviews from the usual suspects yet. The 520W M12-II can still be found for ~$40, next recognizable options after that would be the 2017 Corsair CX450.