My PC takes upwards of 5 minutes to load windows

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
So this started a month back, and my usual almost instantaneous windows load process turned into a nightmare.

It happens like this:

• The boot goes fine and windows starts loading.
    Then no HDD activity follows for about 5-7 minutes. The USB peripherals remain in off state in this time.
    Suddenly HDD activity resumes and windows loads in a couple of seconds.

PC Specs:
Core i5 6600
Gigabyte B150M-D3H
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX1060
Transcend 256GB M.2 SSD
3TB Seagate
750W ThermalTake DPS-G

Solution
if turns out your hdd is physically ok then try this:
run msconfig -> services tab -> check hide all microsoft -> uncheck everything -> startup tab (open task manager) -> disabled everything -> reboot your pc.

Doseq

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Do you have Windows installed on SSD or HDD ?
Perform Error Scans for your HDD with
http://www.hdtune.com/
You can also try to use default Windows tool RMB on your drive >> Properties >> Tools >> Check for Errors

bajgur

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016
if turns out your hdd is physically ok then try this:
run msconfig -> services tab -> check hide all microsoft -> uncheck everything -> startup tab (open task manager) -> disabled everything -> reboot your pc.

Solution

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
The windows is on the SSD. And I had already done error and surface checks on all of them. I'll try the startup stuff.
I am an old programmer so you all can suggest complex stuff too!
Thanks!

Doseq

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014

Disconnect your HDD from computer. Check if the problem still exists.
Bring your BIOS options to default.
Did HDTUNE showed anything interesting in HDD Health tab?

If your PC will run normally without HDD i would suggest moving all the files from it, formatting it and putting files back. Even though it does not sounds like an amazing solution give it a try :>

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
So I did the following:
- Removed the HDD but it didn't have any effect.
- Examined and disabled some unnecessary features in the BIOS like some unused ports, power management etc. But nothing changed.
- Disabled all startups. Still nothing changed.

The windows is on the SSD, I don't think its a HDD issue. I do not want to format, reinstall windows and all the other software again. This PC has been running without a reformat since the days of Windows 8.0.

bajgur

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016

if all startups and (unnecessary) services had been disabled and your windows still takes 5 mins to load then try this:
sfc /scannow

note.
even thou your windows in ssd that doesnt mean windows wont check your hdd while loading.

May 15, 2018
I'm going to note, the last time I had a failed SSD I experienced similar issues; no diagnostics were able to detect any faults.

Reseat the SSD and check the connection on both the motherboard and the SSD. If no luck I'd see how your PC handles booting to the HDD, instead. Else, I'm going to guess your SSD is taking a dump.