Question My PC tends to lag in games after 20 mins of playing

Sep 12, 2024
Hello,i recently started to have a problem that's ruining my gaming experience.After 15-20 mins of playing any game on my pc it tends to lag the game then after 30 sec it starts being normal but then again after 5 mins it starts again and again.I'll be happy with any kind of help!
And here are my PC specs:
Gpu-Rtx 3060 12GB
Cpu-Ryzen 5 4500
Motherboard-b550m
Ram-16gb ddr4 3200mhz single channel
Here's a video with the lag persisting (sorry if its posted on GD)

Last edited:
Hey there,

Looks like the CPU is crapping out, and hence the lagging. ONce the CPU clocks drop (to 400mhz) the GPU FPS tank immediately.

Are all your system drivers up to date? Including chipset? Have you used DDU to uninstall your GPU driver, and then reinstall?

What bios are you running on your mobo?

Is your ram running in XMP mode?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are you monitoring temperatures?

How full is your storage drive?

What type of power supply?

My bet is there is some temperature issue going on causing throttling. Are you cleaning this PC regularly of dust?

Sep 12, 2024
Are you monitoring temperatures?

How full is your storage drive?

What type of power supply?

My bet is there is some temperature issue going on causing throttling. Are you cleaning this PC regularly of dust?
My temperatures for my GPU and Cpu after 20 mins are
For GPU-60 °C
For CPU-65 °C
I have a 1TB HDD it has 402gb free
And a 238 gb SSD that has 110gb free
Power Supply is gp-850
And i clean my pc i think once every three months.

Sep 12, 2024
Hey there,

Looks like the CPU is crapping out, and hence the lagging. ONce the CPU clocks drop (to 400mhz) the GPU FPS tank immediately.

Are all your system drivers up to date? Including chipset? Have you used DDU to uninstall your GPU driver, and then reinstall?

What bios are you running on your mobo?

Is your ram running in XMP mode?
All of them are up to date and including the chipset.Yes i have used DDU to uninstall my Gpu drivers and reinstall
The last bios i am running for my mobo B55DS819
Yes it is running in XMP mode

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's 8-9 months old

I cannot find any independent review on that specific model, but in general it seems that they aren't particularly well thought of. Could not locate warranty info on the website for them. As far as budget units go, they should still be offering 5y. I would suspect that a power issue would present more as actual shut down than lag.

The one thing standing out is a single stick of 16GB of RAM. Get a matched set for 32GB or at least 2x8 for 16 and see if your issues resolve some.

Along that same vein, if this game resides on the HDD could it be that this issue revolves around a page load? HDD are still worthwhile for bulk storage but make a huge difference in a game which is going to want fast storage to draw from.

My opinion on this is that the system may be trying to cache page file to your single stick of RAM from a HDD and is causing the lag. It is a bit of a guess, but the best solution I can think of.

As a side note, I had a HDD going bad one time that showed no real sign of it. Windows didn't throw errors, the drive health was good and was pulling my hair out about it. I finally got so fed up that I breadboarded the system and it worked perfectly until hooking that drive back up. I moved it to a NAS enclosure and it has been working fine there for a couple of years now.