Question My PC turn on but no display

warriorbysand

Prominent
Mar 29, 2019
hello guys , i have a problem :

my pc turn on but no display on the monitor

i was playing fortnite a bit then suddenly my pc shut down then restart itself ( it wasn't the electricity ) after that i tried to restart it again and again but no display on the screen

all the fans ( including the fan on my video card ) are running , light on the motherboard , Rams everything seems fine but no display on the screen

can you please guys help me , i have work on my pc that need to be done , please help guys

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Do you have a second video card to test, or an onboard graphics processor you can connect to?

And maybe give some more details about your system... what CPU, motherboard, etc.

warriorbysand

Prominent
Mar 29, 2019
stick with 1 thread
hello guys , i have a problem :

my pc turn on but no display on the monitor

i was playing fortnite a bit then suddenly my pc shut down then restart itself ( it wasn't the electricity ) after that i tried to restart it again and again but no display on the screen

all the fans ( including the fan on my video card ) are running , light on the motherboard , Rams everything seems fine but no display on the screen

can you please guys help me , i have work on my pc that need to be done , please help guys

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Well, if it was a prebuild PC you probably won't know what is in there, so we will see what can be done like this.
Does your PC make a beep sound, when you turn it on?

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
That depends. You only get the beep, when you have an internal speaker connected (most prebuilt PCs do). The beep would tell you, if the power on self test was fine or if it encountered problems along the way. Without internal speaker it will be harder to find out, especially since I don't want you to disassemble the parts.

warriorbysand

Prominent
Mar 29, 2019
thank you so much for the information , i always wonder why my pc doesn't beep

ok so , in most case what part could be that causing this problem ?( pc seems to work fine but no display on the monitor)

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Does your monitor work, if you plug it into something else, like a console. Or do you have a flat screen TV that you can connect to the PC for testing.
If your screen is verified to work or you managed to plug in another screen / TV and it still doesn't work on your PC, then try another display cable.
If it still won't work, it will get somewhat harder, like removing the BIOS battery for a couple of minutes and put it back in.
A random restart of your PC can also have been caused by a faulty power supply unit or overheating of the CPU. Either of those could be permanently damaged now.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Ya, but his pins were bent and I don't think your pins bend by themselves just by an unplanned restart of your PC (Unless of course your motherboard is not properly suspended as it should be, or you removed the CPU at any point).
And yes, I mean the battery that looks like a watch battery. Just be sure you don't have to force it out. There should be something like a small button / pin you need to press in order to safely remove it.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
For starters you should probably just make a quick visual check of the motherboard and the components for any damages, without taking anything out yet. After that discharge yourself from static electricity (touching your case with plugged in, but turned of power supply should do the trick), unplug the power cable, then take out your RAM and only put one back in an try to boot. If it still won't work, plug the other RAM in instead. If none of that works, we know that your RAMs are probably fine and the problem is somewhere else (highly unlikely both DIMMS died at the same time). If only one of them works, we know that the other RAM probably is dead.
If, after testing all RAMs, you still get no signal, put them all back in. Be sure to plug in the RAMs firmly. They should "snap" into place on both ends. Take out your video card and check the PCIe pins on it for damages. Don't be worried if one or two gold pins are only half the length of the others. That is normal. Reseat the graphics card and also here make sure that it snaps into place. Check if the wide motherboard power cable and the small CPU power cable (probably 4 or 8 pins wide, somewhere close to the cpu) are both firmly pressed into the motherboard. Try to boot again.
Unless absolutely necessary, I would keep my hands of the CPU cooler and the CPU itself for now, as you might need new thermal paste after removing the cooler.

Last edited:

warriorbysand

Prominent
Mar 29, 2019
If, after testing all RAMs, you still get no signal, put them all back in. Be sure to plug in the RAMs firmly. They should "snap" into place on both ends. Take out your video card and check the PCIe pins on it for damages. Don't be worried if one or two gold pins are only half the length of the others. That is normal. Reseat the graphics card and also here make sure that it snaps into place. Check if the wide motherboard power cable and the small CPU power cable (probably 4 or 8 pins wide, somewhere close to the cpu) are both firmly pressed into the motherboard. Try to boot again.
i will try to do what you told me here right now

by the way is there a way to know if my Rams are dead ?? ( I have two )

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Sorry man, wasn't online.
If you have another PC that is compatible with those RAMs, sure you can test them in there. But be aware using the wrong RAM on the wrong motherboard, like DDR3 RAM on a DDR4 motherboard, might cause damage to the motherboard and/or RAMs.
As I said, it is unlikely (not impossible) that both of your RAMs are dead, so if you test your PC with one at a time and there is no difference then your RAMs are probably fine (be aware to put single RAMs in the correct slot of your motherboard. You cannot just have them placed anywhere.)