My PC will not boot properly

TITAN-STORM

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hi there.
I'm having a problem with my PC.
Last night I was playing my games and all was good and well. I shut my PC down and went to bed. No problems. However this morning I switched it on and it got to log on screen. I typed my password and then went to make a coffee. When I came back the screen was black with a flickering cursor in the top left hand corner. So I reset and it got past the BIOS screen and the same thing happened. I've been trying to fix it for the last 12 hours but nothing is working. The codes I get on the motherboard ( Asrock fatal1ty z77 pro m) are: 4f, 62, 99 and a2. I have reset CMOS, used startup repair disc, re installed all hardware and isolated each piece to try and find the problem but to no avail. I also whacked a different HDD in with windows installed which booted to windows but then blue screen, restart and same black screen. Any Ideas? Sorry I wrote on phone :/

Intel Celeron

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
If it POSTs, Then not a problem. The blinking cursor is usually a sign of Disk activity/reading. Did you set your 1st boot device to your windows disk? If you booted into windows before, did you, by chance see the blue screen name (usually at the top. Either a sentence or a phrase with underscores instead of spaces.) I'll research those codes. I'll be back with the results.

Intel Celeron

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
From my research, I can't ffind 4f. Other codes are below:

62 = Chipset initialization error. Please press reset or clear CMOS.
99 = Problem related to PCI-E devices. Please re-install PCI-E devices or try installing them in other slots. If the problem still exists, please remove all PCI-E devices or try using another VGA card.
a2 = Problem related to IDE or SATA devices. Please re-install IDE and SATA devices. If the problem still exists, please clear CMOS and try removing all SATA devices.

Try digging for an ancient IDE drive, try to install windows in it, (Probably XP or something) And back-up your files, And reinstall windows on the main drive. But before that, try removing all PCIE cards in there, and go 1 stick RAM.

TITAN-STORM

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Yes I tried both of those things. It ended up being a fault in the HDD itself and I had to reinstall on a different HDD. Thank you very much for your help though. I am sure if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have fixed it so soon as I'd still be troubleshooting