Question My PC will shut down whenever I plug SATA cable to any ssd.

Sep 19, 2024
I recently switched to newly built PC and I encountered a unprecedented problem. Using my old PC, I gradually put newly bought PC part such as SSD, RAM, etc. and I was able to run it without any problem. At some point I finished buying all the necessary parts like motherboard, case, CPU, PSU, etc. and built the new PC. I was going to use old PC as a backup for any cases. I tried to rebuild it with the old parts and I noticed that it would just turn off when I plug in SSD SATA cable. I was not sure of why, so I just purchased new SSD. Despite the effort of replacing SSD, It would do same. So I concluded that there is something problematic on either SATA cable or SATA header on MB. I previously had no problem with my SSD itself because I was able to plug it in to 22pin SATA to USB cable and use it for extra storage. However, after plugging it to my old Motherboard which turned on for like half second and turn off, I no longer was able to access the storage. When I plug it back in the new and old SSD to 22pin USB cable, the OS recognize it as device name such like "ASMT 2115 USB STORAGE DEVICE ", and even when I tried to fix it by OS disk management tool, I can not do any allocation or partitioning.

My previous build is like this :

CPU : 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K (24 CPUs), ~5.0GHz

GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070

Motherboard : MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 (MS-7D41)

Power : CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x

Cooler : Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240 CPU Water Cooler

RAM : CORSAIR VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit

Storage : 860 EVO SATA 2.5" SSD 500GB

NEW STORAGE I TRIED TO INSTALL : Kingston 480GB A400 SATA 3 2.5" Internal SSD SA400S37/480G

Case : Corsair 4000D Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Case

ORIGINAL REDDIT POST

DISK NAME FROM OS DESCRIPTION FROM REDDIT POST

DISK NAME IMAGE FROM REDDIT I POSTED

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What was the previous psu? Just wondering if that was also modular and are you using sata power cable from that psu with Corsair?

There isn't a pin diagram standard in the psu industry so pinouts change a lot between brands. Modular cables do look the same yes, but the wiring to and from is different, you can end up putting power to the wrong pin and fry the part. Can get lucky if psu is good enough to detect a short and shutdown before damage is done. You would have seen a sticker on the Corsair psu only use their cables, this is why.

Reactions: marey
Sep 19, 2024
I hope you are not mixing PSU cables? Thats sounds like a classic case of the wrong pinout.
Yeah,,,, I made a mistake on selection of PSU cable. I bought the Corsairs' PSU to SATA cable and it worked! But I now have two fried SSD that's sitting at my house. Thank you for the your answer.

Sep 19, 2024
What was the previous psu? Just wondering if that was also modular and are you using sata power cable from that psu with Corsair?

There isn't a pin diagram standard in the psu industry so pinouts change a lot between brands. Modular cables do look the same yes, but the wiring to and from is different, you can end up putting power to the wrong pin and fry the part. Can get lucky if psu is good enough to detect a short and shutdown before damage is done. You would have seen a sticker on the Corsair psu only use their cables, this is why.
Yes you were right. I didnt have the original PSU cable for RM850x. I just got the cheap amazon PSU cable and this happened. I am left with two fried SSD at my table waiting to be fix haha. Any advice on those SSD?

Sep 19, 2024
Not much advice really, sorry. Replace under warranty maybe? There's no fixing them if are fried.
Was lucky enough to get refunds on second SSD that I newly bought ! But I feel sad for my old Samsung SSD haha. Ive been using it for almost past 10 years but it is time for it so go to deep sleep.

Yeah, just look at it this way, I've seen people do this, and I've gotten systems to work on where someone used a cable from a different PSU and it took everything out that the PSU was plugged into, and the blown up parts took out their new PSU as well. I'd consider yourself lucky, I do wish they would follow some sort of standard so this wouldn't be an issue, but thats just how it is.

Just make sure if you get cable kits that will work with your model PSU down to the T, Most new corsair PSU cables are type4, but there was a time back when modular was kinda new where they wasn't following their own standard even with the same model's of PSU's and that kinda made it hard, I have a old Corsair unit like that that I had to repin an EVGA cable to work with the PSU as I could not find kits for it, but the plugs was the same as a dead EVGA unit that I had just the wrong pinout.

Just be careful when swapping out PSU's is all. Glad you got it all sorted out!

Reactions: marey

TRENDING THREADS