[SOLVED] My PC will shut off won’t turn on for about an hour or so.

Nov 13, 2020
Basically. I built my PC about a year ago and it was working fine up until a few days ago when it started to randomly turn off and the power button wouldn’t work the fans would spin for a second and turn off. I took out one of my ram sticks and it worked fine for a few days until it started tonight. I tested my PSU and it was fine so I am ordering another motherboard to try and see if it’s a mobo problem cuz I’m 90% sure it is.
Btw my build is Build

Lutfij

Titan
When the power button on the case doesn't work, have you tried shorting the +ve and -ve pins on the motherboard to see if the system powers up ad it's not the I/O panels issue? Try and source a donor PSU that's reliably built from your friend or neighbor and has at least 650W of power for the entire system, to rule out your PSU being faulty or failing.

Can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? While there, check the version of your BIOS. Version for Windows 10 that you're currently on?

How did you test the PSU? Using the paper clip method? If so, it's not a test, it can't tell squat about how much power the PSU can effectively output.

Nov 13, 2020
When the power button on the case doesn't work, have you tried shorting the +ve and -ve pins on the motherboard to see if the system powers up ad it's not the I/O panels issue? Try and source a donor PSU that's reliably built from your friend or neighbor and has at least 650W of power for the entire system, to rule out your PSU being faulty or failing.

Can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? While there, check the version of your BIOS. Version for Windows 10 that you're currently on?

How did you test the PSU? Using the paper clip method? If so, it's not a test, it can't tell squat about how much power the PSU can effectively output.

Tried to short the pins and no luck. The PC literally will turn on the fans for half a second and then turn off. However, my motherboard has a LED strip that is always on when the pc is plugged in if that’s helpful. I also tried resetting by unplugging and holding the power button. Also no luck. I did use the paper clip method to test my pc lol I didn’t know it was that bad. One more thing. When I unplug my PSU and plug it back in the fans will spin for a second but when I try pressing the power button again the fans won’t spin if that’s helpful.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When unplugging, it should be for at least 30 seconds. Any lighting, motherboard lights, etc should be long gone off. When you unplug the psu, listen to see if you get an audible click.

The psu will have some residual power to the motherboard, and doesn't reset until all power is gone.

Nov 13, 2020
When unplugging, it should be for at least 30 seconds. Any lighting, motherboard lights, etc should be long gone off. When you unplug the psu, listen to see if you get an audible click.

The psu will have some residual power to the motherboard, and doesn't reset until all power is gone.
Thanks this did get the PC to post however. How do I know if the problem is gone? Is there a test I can do to see if this will happen again?

Nov 13, 2020
Thanks this did get the PC to post however. How do I know if the problem is gone? Is there a test I can do to see if this will happen again?
Seems like this didn’t last tho. It turned on but said my VRAM was off because of the QLED light so I took out one stick because it was running on one stick before and I think the other one is dead and now it won’t turn on again. I tried the 30 second test twice already. Ok I’m sorry for typing so much however it seems that my PV is now turning on sometimes and not other times. I reset the SC thing one more time and now it is completely on. Is there a test to see if it will stay this way? Because I am scared if I turn it off again it won’t come back on.

Last edited:
My friend who is building a computer close to me has a PSU thats coming this wednesday and said I could try it on my computer. https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B08M9LDLXH?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image thats the PSU can u tell me if its worth trying on my computer or just purchase the one that you had already linked? Sorry its in amazon mexico because thats where I live. Moved from california long story lol.
I would have picked this RM750
https://www.amazon.com.mx/Corsair-a...ics&sprefix=corsair+rm,electronics,382&sr=1-2

Can he Cancel that and Order this PSU instead if possible. Let him know that spending little extra can get him lot better PSU.

If he cannot then still you can test using that Cooler Master PSU.

Nov 13, 2020
I would have picked this RM750
https://www.amazon.com.mx/Corsair-alimentación-Totalmente-Modular-Microsoft/dp/B07RF237B1/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=3SNBQ4KNVAG97&dchild=1&keywords=corsair+rm750x&qid=1618028835&s=electronics&sprefix=corsair+rm,electronics,382&sr=1-2

Can he Cancel that and Order this PSU instead if possible. Let him know that spending little extra can get him lot better PSU.

If he cannot then still you can test using that Cooler Master PSU.
I ordered the one you sent for myself since I can’t really find a better one that fits my budget. However it’s going to get here in a few weeks so I think I will test with the PSU that is coming Wednesday for time reasons

Nov 13, 2020
UPDATE: PSU just came in the mail(the cheaper one) and its working like a charm rn! I will def use the other (higher quality) one when it gets here but for right now I think it was a PSU issue. Thanks to all of you guys for helping me out i rly appreciate it! :)