My Pentium G3258 is not performing right. Cant play Many new games at all.

Nick_54

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
So ive had this problem ever since getting this cpu. From witcher 3, to Dark souls 3, mad max, fallout 4. Any intensive game. They run at fine fps, the problem is the stuttering the horrible stuttering. Witcher 3 will pause on a frame for literally 5-10 seconds, now i know that the g3258 can be bad but this isent what any benchmark ive ever seen is like. I looked up bench marks for all these games several times and then some, i look at the benchmark on youtube and they have none of these problems at all.

Full Specs:
Pentium G3258, tried stock, 4.0, 4.2 with 1.280 volt, Stock cooler temps never over 50-60c depending on clock.
gtx 960 ftw 2gb model
8 gb 1600 balistix ram 8*1 stick
500W rosewill PSU
640Gb western digital Blue HDD
MSI H81m-p33

Sadly its getting to the point in which i cant handle many games at all.
Side note, this followed me from windows 10 to windows 7 with a completely fresh install drivers, and all.

Solution

He has a G3258 overclocked which means he has a z97 board. No sense in suggesting skylake when the 4790K is CHEAPER than a new mobo+i5+memory! Also note I suggested the 4590 (and by extension 4690k), which have almost identical performance to the 6600/K without needing anything other than the...

unicorn_impaler

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
You don't necessarily need a quad core but it would be nice. I wouldn't recommend a 4790k because it really isn't worth it if your just doing gaming and other mediocre tasks. I would recommend a i5 6600/6600k or even a i5 6500 as there is not much difference in performance unless you oveclock the k version of the 6600. The i5 6600k is great for overclocking and is a really good chip overall. You'd really be getting more value for money.

He has a G3258 overclocked which means he has a z97 board. No sense in suggesting skylake when the 4790K is CHEAPER than a new mobo+i5+memory! Also note I suggested the 4590 (and by extension 4690k), which have almost identical performance to the 6600/K without needing anything other than the chip itself

Solution

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
While people above are right, you should be able to get decent gameplay. You need to check every ingame setting that affects your CPU. I give you examples from Starcraft 2:
- reflections rely on CPU
- Physix - CPu (unless it is an nVidya PhisX title and you set your GPU in the nvidia control panel) etc.
And dont expect ultra high/ultra settings from your system, you need to tweak it and find a compromise.

Dustybin

Respectable
Feb 24, 2016
I have a very similar spec to you apart from an i3 vs the pentium. I have never experienced any stuttering like you describe and I play @1080p with medium to high settings. A dual core system is below the minimum spec for many modern triple A titles which means you'll likely run into problems playing them.

Most i3 are much faster than the G3258, since they include HT and a whole bunch of other features

D

Deleted member 217926

Every game you mentioned has a minimum Sandy Bridge i5 for their CPU requirements. You have a dual core CPU. And no game ever ran well on minimum specs.

Dustybin

Respectable
Feb 24, 2016

Yes, my point being he doesn't need to drop double the price on an i5 to play these games. Not everyone has the budget for an i5.

Nick_54

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

K so I know this CPU is shit what I'm saying is that no one else has these stuttering issues the problem is in almost every game a get these hitches and even my friend IRL with this CPU doesn't get these. I don't need you to tell me my CPU was shit either.

Your friend is lying or just running totally different settings. It's not possible to get stable framerates in those games with that CPU

The issue here isn't one of bandwidth, but latency. The G3258 is capable of putting out decent FPS, but remember that FPS is an average. Your monitor wants a new frame every 16.67ms, and while the G3258 might be able to produce ~40 frames over a 1 second timespan, you'll get framedata that looks something like this:

Frame 1 created
Monitor requests new frame; Frame 1 displayed
Frame 2 created
Frame 3 created
Frame 4 created
Monitor requests new frame; Frame 4 displayed

Six updates, two unique frames delivered by the display, measured FPS would be 40 FPS, but the number of unique frames would give an effective rate of 20 FPS.

If you OC that CPU, you should get at least *stable* framerates at minimum settings, but you really shouldn't expect a pure dual-core CPU to do much in modern gaming. The HTT cores on a Core i3 help a ton for cases like this.

Nick_54

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mg-BRJFjFE4.
Pls look at this video notice how this person keeps a stable playable fps WHILE RECORDING and yet in this game I have Other issue where it gets stuck on a single frame for 5-10 seconds . So plz tell what am I missing here why is this person's CPU just plain put performing mine as if it was a different one

unicorn_impaler

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015

Not sure what video you're looking at, but that thing looks terrible (far lower than what the 960 can do) and laggy as hell!

Your frame issue is likely entirely different, possibly a driver issue (clean install drivers again) or just bad software (AV, etc)

Chichadisho

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I have a G3258, R9 280X, 8 Gg Kingston HyperX, 600 PSU. My DS3 settings is on max/high and the fps stutters only on certain areas more particularly in the starting spawn point on the first hints on the ground and on the first bonfire and the arch leading to the first mini boss. This same stuttering issue goes with other games such as FO4, DA:Inquisition (specially in towns), Witcher 3 (specially in towns). They all have this fps stuttering issue from time to time even if the graphics settings are already set to med to low.

The only thing i get good stable fps is in DotA 2, Starcraft 2, and cs:go. I will try to get i5 4690 if I have the money for it. I guess I will have to keep these games first if I want to enjoy them running smoothly.