[SOLVED] My power cable got burnt, is my PSU ok?

tamim2ddc

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
I have a 600W PSU powering a Ryzen 3 and no discreet GPU. Tonight I installed a case fan on it and tried powering it. Now the sockets on my house isn't particularly great, very loose. I usually power my PC with those multiplugs. Tried to test everything by directly powering it using socket. It won't boot up, so I suspected it was loose. So after 2 min of fiddling around with wires I got the PC to boot up, but now I heard a loud spark noise and then my PC or wire idk starts to smoke up with real bad smell. My mind went blank and I quickly turned off the PSU power switch, saw that wasn't doing anything as my PC and Fan was still on I quickly turned off the socket switch and then it turned off.

Checked to see that my PSU Power Wire been burned and there's a melt wire there that goes to the PSU. Now I am scared if my PSU is dead or my power wire. Please help me out here!

Solution
It's doubtful but possible. Without actually getting a new PSU cord and testing it's hard to say/

I will say it sounds like you have borderline fire hazard eletrcial in you home and you should really get someone who knows electrical to fix it. The outlets sound as though they are completely shot.
It's doubtful but possible. Without actually getting a new PSU cord and testing it's hard to say/

I will say it sounds like you have borderline fire hazard eletrcial in you home and you should really get someone who knows electrical to fix it. The outlets sound as though they are completely shot.

Solution

tamim2ddc

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015

Bought a new PSU cord to test it like you said, yeah it was the wire actually rather than the PSU.

The sockets are really damn terrible on my house. Like when I plugged the PC along the TV I wanted to test as display output on the room my room light literally started to flicker until I completly removed the PC from the wall. Def will give it a check.