[SOLVED] My processor doesn't show up correctly?

Oct 18, 2020
Hi, so I was putting an Intel Xeon E3-1290 v2 into my system to run some comparison benchmarks.

So, it boots into windows no problem, the bios and certain programs(CPUZ, Geekbench) identified it correctly.

However, Settings>System>About identified it as a i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz instead of the Xeon. And Cinebench R20 identified it as the Xeon E3-1290 v2, but had it showing up as 3.4Ghz instead of 3.7Ghz.

Finally, Geekbench said the benchmark was invalid because of timing issues? I'm not really sure what the issue is here. I didn't change anything about the system except swapping out the processor(from i7-3770 to Xeon E3-1290 v2).

For further info, the mobo is a MSI H61-P23 (B3) and I'm running 16GB of DDR3-1600 non ecc memory.

Solution
I wouldn't worry about Windows, it's probably just reading from a db of expected processors, so the 3.4Hz is probably a red herring - Geekbench and Cinebench probably read the same value
Oct 18, 2020
the Xeons are server processors, while they may boot they may not be on the list of supported CPUs. So the bios uses the closest settings of a similar retail CPU much like older board could run the Xeon X3220
That makes sense. Is there nothing I can do to have it show up/run at the "advertised" level?

Oct 18, 2020
That's whats confusing. The bios and cpuz detect it correctly and show it running @3.7Ghz, however its windows itself that identifies it as a i7. Cinebench identifies it as a Xeon, but at @3.4Ghz instead of @3.7, and Geekbench identifies it correctly when I start it, but after the test concludes it says the timing is wrong.

So I have different programs telling me different things, and I'm not sure what the issue is.

Oct 18, 2020
I'll try it again today, but they read diff values which is what really threw me off. When Bios, CPUZ and Geekbench all read the correct value, I figured Windows might be off. However Cinebench read it as a Xeon @3.4ghz instead of @3.7ghz.