[SOLVED] My PSU CPU cable incompatible ?

Solution
I am using the included cabels marked CPU from Seasonic

Ok.. I think you just don't know how those connectors work and are making assumptions.

But I think we were all a little scared when we built our first PC.

The "D" shaped pin is actually made to fit into a "D" shaped connection or a "square" connection. The "square" pin only fits into a "square" hole, so that is your "key" to prevent you from doing something like sticking a PCIe power connector into a motherboard.

The CPU cable is labeled CPU because it plugs into the motherboard to provide power to the CPU. All ATX power supplies made today have them and they're all keyed the same way. It's not like you got some weird CPU power connector that goes into a different...
Sep 8, 2018

These are the CPU cables that come with a SeaSonic Focus GX 850. If these are the right cables, they'll both be 4+4.

If these are not the right cables that go with this exact PSU, then stop this right now because if you don't use the right cables, you may destroy your components.
It should be them but not sure because i cant see the cpu ends connections.

DSzymborski

Titan
What they say is exactly correct. 4+4 cables individually each have 8 pins, split into two 4+4 halves so that the cables can be used either to populate a full 8-pin connection or a secondary 4-pin connection (or just a 4-pin in older or lower power applications)

There should be two 4+4 pin connectors on each cable that can be combined to make an 8-pin connection. Not 4+4 pin connectors on completely different cables.

I don't know what you mean by "can't see the CPU ends connections." There's no reason you can't see your entire cable. If your cable does not look like this, then something's very wrong.

Sep 8, 2018
What they say is exactly correct. 4+4 cables individually each have 8 pins, split into two 4+4 halves so that the cables can be used either to populate a full 8-pin connection or a secondary 4-pin connection (or just a 4-pin in older or lower power applications)

There should be two 4+4 pin connectors on each cable that can be combined to make an 8-pin connection. Not 4+4 pin connectors on completely different cables.

I don't know what you mean by "can't see the CPU ends connections." There's no reason you can't see your entire cable. If your cable does not look like this, then something's very wrong.
+1^
Use one of those 4+4 cables to populate the 8-pin header, and you're all set. You can then use half of the other 4+4 cable to populate the extra 4-pin header next to it if you want to (not necessary, tho).
So can I just use the 4+4 cable in the 8 pin as seasonic said even though the connector and cable don't fully match?
View: https://imgur.com/a/pP2Fl7K

Sep 8, 2018
I don't think SeaSonic understood what you were doing; I still barely get exactly how this isn't working for you. as you haven't explained things very clearly. The 4+4 connectors are right there on each individual cable.
Im really no expert at PSUs but the issue is that I want to use all the 8 pins on the 8 pin connector on the motherboard for maximum power to the CPU but the connector on the motherboard only matches with one "4" of the 4+4 connector from cable. Is that any clearer ?

Im really no expert at PSUs but the issue is that I want to use all the 8 pins on the 8 pin connector on the motherboard for maximum power to the CPU but the connector on the motherboard only matches with one "4" of the 4+4 connector from cable. Is that any clearer ?

Then why don't you?

You take the 4+4-pin and stick it in the motherboard.

Why doesn't this work? Have you even tried it?

DSzymborski

Titan
I posted pictures in my first post, or do you want something more? View: https://imgur.com/a/PZZA53c

Both ends of the cable, all the parts. You're showing us a side shot of one part of one side of the cable. If you can't explain what your problem is, you have to at least show us. If you can't give clear visuals or a clear description of what your problem is, you're better off paying a local shop to do this for you.

I still can't tell if you actually have the proper 4+4 cables that go with this PSU because you won't answer a straight question about what you have. And the last time I asked you to clarify, you just gave an odd explanation about how you couldn't see the other end of the cable (or apparently the full end of the cable you're showing). I even got you images of the cables that come with this PSU and you won't even confirm or deny that this is identical to the cable you have.

Sep 8, 2018
Both ends of the cable, all the parts. You're showing us a side shot of one part of one side of the cable. If you can't explain what your problem is, you have to at least show us. If you can't give clear visuals or a clear description of what your problem is, you're better off paying a local shop to do this for you.

I still can't tell if you actually have the proper 4+4 cables that go with this PSU because you won't answer a straight question about what you have. And the last time I asked you to clarify, you just gave an odd explanation about how you couldn't see the other end of the cable (or apparently the full end of the cable you're showing).

Ok.. I think you just don't know how those connectors work and are making assumptions.

The "D" shaped pin is actually made to fit into a "D" shaped connection or a "square" connection. The "square" pin only fits into a "square" hole, so that is your "key" to prevent you from doing something like sticking a PCIe power connector into a motherboard.

The CPU cable is labeled CPU because it plugs into the motherboard to provide power to the CPU. All ATX power supplies made today have them and they're all keyed the same way. It's not like you got some weird CPU power connector that goes into a different kind of motherboard that's not yours.

The reason the 4+4 looks different then an 8 is because they have to make the connector capable of splitting and working in EITHER a 4-pin or an 8-pin. This requires making two of the "square" pins of the 8-pin a ""D" shape so it can fit in either.

Just put the two four-pin connectors so the "clip" meets in the middle to form an 8-pin and gently slide it into the motherboard's CPU power header. Done.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 8, 2018

The CPU cable is labeled CPU because it plugs into the motherboard to provide power to the CPU. All ATX power supplies made today have them and they're all keyed the same way. It's like you got some weird CPU power connector that goes into a different kind of motherboard that's not yours.

The reason the 4+4 looks different then an 8 is because they have to make the connector capable of splitting and working in EITHER a 4-pin or an 8-pin. This requires making two of the "square" pins of the 8-pin a ""D" shape so it can fit in either.

Just put the two four-pin connectors so the "clip" meets in the middle to form an 8-pin and gently slide it into the motherboard's CPU power header. Done.
Thank you so much!!! I understand now.