Question My psu died or is it mobo?

Jan 26, 2021
So a few days ago, my pc worked just fine even when it showed to me a message about "Abnormal Supply energy". Worked just fine until now. Now i can't even turn my pc on anymore. The MoBo led's turns on for 1 second, and then turns off. I can't boot.
My psu cooler is not even spinning as well. So i did a test with a metal clipboard on my psu, and for my surprise, the cooler began to spin normally. But when i plug it back on my mobo, nothing seens to work. I don't even know what could be the problem here, if its my psu or my mobo....What you guys suggests me? (I don't have another mobo or another psu to change right now)

My config:
Psu: Corsair VS500w
Mobo: Asrock B250 Gaming k4
Intel i7-7700 3.6ghz
RX 570 4gb
16gb ram Hiperx

wfwcowboys

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
The power supply you have is known for being sketchy but ironically I had one in a build that had issues and in the end the motherboard was the main problem so it’s worth noting but I would not immediately assume it’s the PSU. What’s happening sounds like a mobo issue but I recommend you make sure the PSU is still working. Do you have any systems that you could test the PSU with?

So a few days ago, my pc worked just fine even when it showed to me a message about "Abnormal Supply energy". Worked just fine until now. Now i can't even turn my pc on anymore. The MoBo led's turns on for 1 second, and then turns off. I can't boot.
My psu cooler is not even spinning as well. So i did a test with a metal clipboard on my psu, and for my surprise, the cooler began to spin normally. But when i plug it back on my mobo, nothing seens to work. I don't even know what could be the problem here, if its my psu or my mobo....What you guys suggests me? (I don't have another mobo or another psu to change right now)

My config:
Psu: Corsair VS500w
Mobo: Asrock B250 Gaming k4
Intel i7-7700 3.6ghz
RX 570 4gb
16gb ram Hiperx
Joining the borked PSU gang here

a paperclip test can give you a false positive as it puts no load on the PSU
it seems to me that you have a borked capacitor in there, my advice would be to test the system with another PSU
can you lend/steal/get/... another PSU

If not i'd order a new quality PSU

Jan 26, 2021
I see. Well, now i remember something a few months ago, with this very same pc i have, that sometimes my pc only turned on in my second or third try, pressing the power button. Could back then already be a sign that it was something wrong related to psu? I mean, i never had any blue screen, freezing or crashing problems with this pc at all. Everything began with this "press the power button two or three times to begin the system". Months passed by with this. It was just a matter of time to something big like this to show of.

I have no other system to test this psu. I think i can talk to someone though to try it for me.

The "paper clip test" is only useful to confirm a dead psu.
It says nothing about proper working of the unit.

My guess is that the PSU is the culprit.
It is a tier 5/6 unit on this list:

See if you can't borrow a known good psu to test with.
If that is not possible, buy a quality replacement from a shop with a good return policy.
Expect to pay a 15% restocking charge id you want to return it.

Consider a quality psu as a long term investment.
Look for one with a 7 to 10 year warranty. Yes, they will be expensive.

Reactions: Sharkhead94
Jan 26, 2021
I'm kinda surprised with this tier list. I knew my psu wasnt a top tier quality, but to thing its still not that good... i think i have her for about 3.5 - 4 years.
Do you think the problem i spoke of, about pressing Power button 3 times to turn on my pc, is directly related to the psu?

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm kinda surprised with this tier list. I knew my psu wasnt a top tier quality, but to thing its still not that good... i think i have her for about 3.5 - 4 years.
Do you think the problem i spoke of, about pressing Power button 3 times to turn on my pc, is directly related to the psu?

It's likely, but not certain.

It would helpful to not think of PSU quality meaning simply whether it turns on or not; the safety role of a PSU is far more important than that. A PSU that turns on and runs the system without ever turning off could be slowly damaging components over years by delivering poorly regulated, noisy power.

A lot of times swapping out the PSU doesn't fix the problem, it's because the PSU was the indirect source of the problem rather than the direct one, but causing components to have a shorter life.

Most of the damage a PSU does is invisible and you only detect it when it's too late. Think of it like someone eating a pound of bacon every morning for breakfast; it will cause damage to their health long before anything detectable happens.

The only way to know if a PSU is actually running well is to run it on expensive, specialized equipment that can measure things like the voltage regulation or ripple. Since most people don't have this equipment, the consumer has to instead protect their components by minimizing their risk and usually only quality PSUs that have either been fully independently tested or at least are a based on a platform that has been fully independently tested.

Unfortunately, given the age of this VS, it's likely one of the far worse models before the rather recent large improvements Corsair made to the CX and VS series. I never would have paired that GPU with this PSU.

Also, in the future, when you get these kinds of warning signs, you should try and address them before something bad happens. I have a friend who had a seizure for the first time at 45. But he ignored it and later, had a full stroke. He turned out fine, but he should have gone to the doctor as soon as he had a seizure.

Reactions: Sharkhead94
Likely, yes.
Unfortunately, the main way to diagnose hardware problems is by swapping with known good replacements.

If it turns out that your motherboard is the issue, it is time to consider not only a motherboard replacement, but also to upgrade to current gen products.

Jan 26, 2021
It's likely, but not certain.

It would helpful to not think of PSU quality meaning simply whether it turns on or not; the safety role of a PSU is far more important than that. A PSU that turns on and runs the system without ever turning off could be slowly damaging components over years by delivering poorly regulated, noisy power.

A lot of times swapping out the PSU doesn't fix the problem, it's because the PSU was the indirect source of the problem rather than the direct one, but causing components to have a shorter life.

Most of the damage a PSU does is invisible and you only detect it when it's too late. Think of it like someone eating a pound of bacon every morning for breakfast; it will cause damage to their health long before anything detectable happens.

The only way to know if a PSU is actually running well is to run it on expensive, specialized equipment that can measure things like the voltage regulation or ripple. Since most people don't have this equipment, the consumer has to instead protect their components by minimizing their risk and usually only quality PSUs that have either been fully independently tested or at least are a based on a platform that has been fully independently tested.

Unfortunately, given the age of this VS, it's likely one of the far worse models before the rather recent large improvements Corsair made to the CX and VS series. I never would have paired that GPU with this PSU.

Also, in the future, when you get these kinds of warning signs, you should try and address them before something bad happens. I have a friend who had a seizure for the first time at 45. But he ignored it and later, had a full stroke. He turned out fine, but he should have gone to the doctor as soon as he had a seizure.
Likely, yes.
Unfortunately, the main way to diagnose hardware problems is by swapping with known good replacements.

If it turns out that your motherboard is the issue, it is time to consider not only a motherboard replacement, but also to upgrade to current gen products.

It seens to me that, even if this psu is not the culprit of this whole problem, i gotta changed it to a better one asap. I had no clue about this vs model. I hope my mobo at least stays all right :(

Jan 26, 2021
Ok guys, so a little update about the situation after basically 1 month.
I got a new psu, its a XPG Core Reactor 650W, Gold full Modular, a brand new one. But, unfortunatly, the problem still persists.
The motherboard leds turns on only for 1 second, and then turns off. My pc can't power on.
I had to change my psu anyway, but still... to think the problem is still around, it has to be a MoBo problem, right?