My PSU doesnt have a 6 pin connector for my GPU? (HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShabazHussain

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a GTX 650 but little did I know, I don't actually have a 6 pin connector coming from my PSU to hook it up. I know I should of checked before but I didn't and I'm looking for a solution. I have looked into using a "2 x 4 pin molex adaptor cable" but I dont think my PSU has any spare molex connectors either? I know I can take out the one for my LEDs (not that necesarry) but I was under the impression that you needed to connect both the cables.
Here is a picture of the molex adaptor i'm thinking of buying:
RB-527.jpg

Here is also a picture of inside my PC (and what I think is a molex?) :

s1sCEnuSSG5Dfg8YcVq4mR42ajhTK0oJOah4Yd3pJwM

GyUwjDpi5akDfctGtVu6GPJMiiFEkJIN29QoJEO_7oI

DT0r6ryZyYGKwGLtELkK7LGeVXVV3xMhV-QO4seRmUI

Also here is a list of my PC specs:

AMD A8 6600K Quad Core Processor / CPU running at 3.9GHz (With 4.2GHz Turbo Mode!)
8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
1TB SEAGATE Barracuda 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive With 64MB Cache
SAMSUNG 24X DVD / CD - RW Dual Layer Optical Disc Drive
MSI FM2-A55M-E35 uATX Motherboard
500W Quiet Power Supply Featuring Large 120mm Cooling Fan
High Quality Vantage RED Desktop PC Gaming Case with 3 x 120mm RED LED Cooling Fans.
SD Memory Card Reader Built Into Top of Case
Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN
6 X High Speed USB 2.0 Ports on Back Plus Further 2 On Top
8 Channel HD Audio
6 X SATA II 3GB/s Ports
1 X PCI Express X16 Slot
1 X PCI Express X1 Slot
1 X PCI Slot
2 X PS/2 Port (For Keyboard / Mouse)
1 X VGA Port
1 X DVI Port
1 X HDMI Port (With Audio)

Solution
Physically it will work. Electrically, it may strain your PSU-shaped object beyond its actual rating, killing it; cheap PSUs tend to take other parts with them when they croak. Since that is not a risk I am willing to take myself, it isn't one I can recommend with a clear conscience to others. YMMV of course, but my recommendation is to replace the PSU.

hamidd1234

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Yes, just buy the molex nothing too special. But I would recommenced you to get a new power supply as the power supply you have seems low end, I mean like come on a 500 watt power supply without a 6 pin? Hmm just get the molex and you'll be fine.

For a "500W" PSU to not have a PCIe power cable suggests it is either an absolutely ancient design, or it is a PSU-shaped object. In either case, it is no longer fit for purpose, and quite frankly could be little more than a firecracker with an uncertain fuse.
The GT650 uses very little PCIe power (it gets almost all it needs from the slot), but it may not be safe to use an adapter with that "PSU."
Something relatively inexpensive like a 380W Antec Earthwatts would be sufficient for your PC, and has the necessary cable.

ShabazHussain

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
Okay thanks for your answers guys. But say I went through with the molex idea, where would I plug it into? I have no free slots expect for if I take out the one for the LEDS. Also theres a little slot on the end bit on the one that powers the fans? Could I possibly just put 1 of the connectors in?

Here is a picture of a single molex adapter: Would this be ok?
$_35.JPG

hamidd1234

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

You would have to plug in the molex cable in to another cable... as shown in this picture and no do not put it the molex were your supposed to plug fans.
IMG_1636.jpg

hamidd1234

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

Yes that will work.

Physically it will work. Electrically, it may strain your PSU-shaped object beyond its actual rating, killing it; cheap PSUs tend to take other parts with them when they croak. Since that is not a risk I am willing to take myself, it isn't one I can recommend with a clear conscience to others. YMMV of course, but my recommendation is to replace the PSU.

Solution

ShabazHussain

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014

Well I'm on a pretty tight budget so it looks like im going to be a risk taker! Besides I never really go overkill with my PC. No overclocking and such so the card shouldn't use too much Watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.