Question My PSU is making troubling sounds and I want to replace it. Worried about compatibility.

Oct 5, 2024
Hello, my 5.5 years old SeaSonic M12II EVO started making mechanical grinding noises followed by a loud sound that sounded like a siren. I immediately powered down and disconnected it. I want to replace it with either the Corsair RMe RM850e, or the ASUS Prime 850w, and I’m wondering if these newer ones are compatible with my rig: i9-9900K, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, RTX 2080, Corsair Vengeance 16gb x2 3200MHz, Samsung EVO 860 SSD and a 2TB Western Digital HDD. Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I want to replace it with either the Corsair RMe RM850e, or the ASUS Prime 850w, and I’m wondering if these newer ones are compatible
Either of those units will be a worthwhile purchase though please look into a unit that has provision for 12VHPWR so you're able to go for an RTX 3000/4000 series upgrade path later down the road.

Where are you located, what is your budget for your PSU purchase, what is your preferred site for purchase and what is the make and model of your case?

Oct 5, 2024
Thank you for the answer and some peace of mind. My budget is up to the price of these two, which is about $120. I’m not buying online but rather locally here. My case is the Corsair Carbide 300R that I’ve been using since my first build in 2013.