[SOLVED] My R9 390x is not detected.

attack1one

Reputable
Mar 29, 2018
I picked up a broken GPU from my friend (a sapphire R9 390x 8GB) and I'm trying to fix it and keep it for myself since GPUs are so expensive.
So I did the usual "fixing". I cleaned it with WD-40 and alcohol and let it dry off. Then put it back together and verified that the fan header is connected. Popped it into my only PCI slot in the motherboard and... no signal, the fans are not spinning and even the windows device manager is not detecting it...
My friend said that it has a problem with the "power" but I don't even know if that's the case. Is there anything I can do to diagnose/fix this GPU?
Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5 4650G (with integrated GPU)
MB - MSI B450 PRO-VDH-MAX
RAM - 16 GB TeamGroup Zeus 3200MHz (2x8GB)
PSU UDEA X 600W PSU

Solution
Yes here:
SyFEGeN.png

So I asked the previous owner about the problem in more detail he said the fuse on the left keeps burning up and that he changed it twice. And upon further research, I found that this issue happens due to the power stage MOSFET is shorted. so the only solution to this issue will be by replacing both the MOSFET and the fuse. my original plan was to get it working then either underclock as low as possible until I'm able to get a PSU on black Friday or buy a better but used one at 750w or something like this.
Oh and I don't care about what he -SID- (pun intended)

Oh, that sucks, thats probably because of some high voltage that was applied to the mosfet (higher than it should be).

attack1one

Reputable
Mar 29, 2018
Wel well well, what is this? Does it have the 2x 6+2pin connectors required for a R9 390X?
And it's not 600w. It's 430w for nowadays 12v standards.
psu_udea_600w_pure.jpg
Yes I know I solved this problem by using a converter from 6 to 8 pin connector wouldn't that be sufficient? Also what I want now is getting the card to post, and not gaming on it straight away

I picked up a broken GPU from my friend (a sapphire R9 390x 8GB) and I'm trying to fix it and keep it for myself since GPUs are so expensive.
So I did the usual "fixing". I cleaned it with WD-40 and alcohol and let it dry off. Then put it back together and verified that the fan header is connected. Popped it into my only PCI slot in the motherboard and... no signal, the fans are not spinning and even the windows device manager is not detecting it...
My friend said that it has a problem with the "power" but I don't even know if that's the case. Is there anything I can do to diagnose/fix this GPU?
Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5 4650G (with integrated GPU)
MB - MSI B450 PRO-VDH-MAX
RAM - 16 GB TeamGroup Zeus 3200MHz (2x8GB)
PSU UDEA X 600W PSU

Did you happend to take good pictures of the PCB (front and back) after you cleaned the card and before putting it back togheter?

And yes I agree with -SID- thats not a good PSU, and it could become a dangerous unit to use with a R9 390X.

bignastyid

Titan
I solved this problem by using a converter from 6 to 8 pin connector wouldn't that be sufficient?
Solves it like putting a bandaid on a bullet hole.

I cleaned it with WD-40
I hope that was atleast WD-40's specialty contact cleaner and not their standard penetrating lubricant.

and it could become a dangerous unit to use with a R9 390X
That psu shaped object is likely dangerous at any load.

Solves it like putting a bandaid on a bullet hole.

I hope that was atleast WD-40's specialty contact cleaner and not their standard penetrating lubricant.

That psu shaped object is likely dangerous at any load.

Yeah I know. Its a pitty sometimes, depending on where you are in the world those could be the only kind of units availables.

In my country for example, 6 or 7 years ago, there was no way to get a well known brand (Im not even talking about good units, just "good names"). Every little piece of PSU available was trashy and unknown.

attack1one

Reputable
Mar 29, 2018
Did you happend to take good pictures of the PCB (front and back) after you cleaned the card and before putting it back togheter?

And yes I agree with -SID- thats not a good PSU, and it could become a dangerous unit to use with a R9 390X.
Yes here:
SyFEGeN.png

So I asked the previous owner about the problem in more detail he said the fuse on the left keeps burning up and that he changed it twice. And upon further research, I found that this issue happens due to the power stage MOSFET is shorted. so the only solution to this issue will be by replacing both the MOSFET and the fuse. my original plan was to get it working then either underclock as low as possible until I'm able to get a PSU on black Friday or buy a better but used one at 750w or something like this.

Yes here:
SyFEGeN.png

Oh, that sucks, thats probably because of some high voltage that was applied to the mosfet (higher than it should be).

Solution