Question My RAM frequency status

May 13, 2020
Hello All,

I have been visit this forums for updates, tips and solutions from years and there are great experts here and wanna say thanks to them first.

So now I am also here to understand, share as well as get some tips regarding my RAM frequency and speed.

This is my PC config -
Intel Core 15 7400 3.0 GHz
Gigabyte Z270M-D3H
Corsair 8GB DDR4 Single
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

I have been seeing many posts on internet regarding the working of RAM and speed. I have CPU-Z which gives me the ideal picture of my configuration.

Initially I could see that in CPU-Z the frequency showing was 1099 or so. Yesterday I had enabled XMP by choosing a profile 1 and I can see it shows the memory as 2400Mhz. Now after changing the profile I could see it is going to show as 1200Mhz now.

But see below my Motherboard details about Memory -

Support for DDR4 XMP Up to 3866MHz and Beyond*

GIGABYTE is offering a tested and proven platform that ensures proper compatibility with profiles up to 3866MHz and beyond. All users need to do to attain this performance boost is to ensure that their memory module is XMP capable and that the XMP function is activated and enabled on GIGABYTE motherboard.

What is XMP?

DDR4 memory modules are available at a stock frequency of 2133MHz, but as frequency tweaking requires a considerable amount of effort and knowledge, memory vendors encode XMP profiles which can automatically modify the timings of the supported memory modules to work with your CPU and to achieve increased performance.

So now please help and support.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
DDR4= Dual Data Rate Generation 4
the keyword in that is DUAL. Every Clock cycle sends AND receives data doubling the data rate
1200 x 2=2400Mhz
1933 x 2=3866 mentioned above.
my 3000Mhz RAM is running at 1500 as it is meant to.

XMP allows RAM to run at ITS rated speed. My RAM without XMP shows as 2133 RAM running at 1066Mhz. it can run faster and XMP allows that easily.

if your RAM is rated at 2400 run it at 2400, if you paid for the super high speed 1933/3866 RAM you would want to run those sticks at the speeds they are made for.

May 13, 2020
You said this
"if your RAM is rated at 2400 run it at 2400, if you paid for the super high speed 1933/3866 RAM you would want to run those sticks at the speeds they are made for. "

Like I said I have 1 8gb Ram stick and its running at 1200 now so how can I make it to 1933?
My motherboard definitely supports that but will my this RAM run at 1933? If yes then how?

Is it to be configured in BIOS or Overclocking?